Sacred Texts  Esoteric & Occult   Mysteries
Buy CD-ROM   Buy Books about UFOs
Index  Previous  Next 

UFO roundup 3/23/1997

->  SearchNet's   IUFO   Mailing List

 Subj:  UFO ROUNDUP, Volume 2, Number 12
 Date:  97-03-23 12:28:08 EST
 From:  Masinaigan
 To:         Ndunlks

 Volume 2, Number 12
 March 23, 1997
 Editor: Joseph Trainor


      Researchers have been flooded with reports in
 the wake of last week's big UFO flap in Arizona.
      People claiming to have seen glowing orange
 spheres and triangular UFOs over Phoenix, Tempe,
 Prescott, Glendale and Tucson the evening of
 March 13, 1997 number in the thousands.
      On Monday, March 17, 1997, Channel 10 in
 Phoenix aired a videotape of a large cylindrical
 UFO with 8 lights.
      In Tucson, eyewitnesses reported four bright
 lights coming from the northwest and heading
 southeast.  (See the Prescott, Arizona Daily
 Courier for March 14, 1997  "UFO Sightings in
 PV, Other Areas.")
      In Glendale (population 96,988), orange globes
 hovered over a suburban neighborhood for two hours,
 from 9 p.m. to 11 p.m.  People were "looking up at
 what they said were orange balls of light.  They were
 very scared...In fact, my 80-year-old father-in-law was
 shouting on the phone at one point.  My wife and I
 did what we could to calm him down and let him
 know what we had tried to tell him about UFOs over
 the years," Billy Dee of Wisconsin reported.
      On Tuesday, March 18, the Arizona Republic ran
 a story on the flap.  According to reporter Susie
 Steckner, the "first call came from former police
 officers who spotted" the UFOs "near Paulden, north
 of Prescott, in Yavapai County."
      "The bright orange-red lights formed the shape of
 a boomerang...with a larger grouping in the lead, followed
 by a single light."
      Shortly after 8 p.m., calls came flooding in from
 Prescott, Prescott Valley, Dewey, Chris Valley,
 Glendale and Phoenix.
      "Tim MacDonald, 11, was leaving his Cub Scout
 meeting in Phoenix when he saw the bizarre object.
 'It looked like a Stealth bomber,' he said, 'It was in a
 triangle shape and had three lights.  It was moving very
 slowly.  It was there for two or three minutes...When it
 disappeared, I thought it was a UFO.'" (See the Arizona
 Republic for March 18, 1997.)
      During its 5 p.m. newcast on March 17, Channel 12
 in Phoenix stated that the glowing orange spheres seen
 March 13 over the Gila River Indian Reservation south of
 the city were "military flares."  The announcer reportedly
 said, "The strange lights over Phoenix were explained
 as an anti-aircraft experiment in a military area 50 miles
 (80 kilometers) south of Phoenix."
      Lt. Col. Mike Hauser, USAF, a spokesman for Luke
 Air Force Base, told the Arizona Republic: "Everybody is
 telling us we have UFOs stashed all over the Air Force.
 I'm not taking issue with what people saw (but) lots of
 things can make lights."
      On Wednesday, March 19, videographer Tom King
 and a group of ufologists went to the state park at South
 Mountain, just south of Phoenix, hoping to catch more
 UFOs on tape.  But park rangers ordered the group off
 the mountain at 9:30 p.m.
      "To our surprise, we were hustled out of the park
 early," King reported.  "The park usually closes at 11 p.m.
 We were told to leave at 9:24.  The park rangers were
 storming up the peak and announced over the loudspeaker,
 'The park is closed.  Leave now.  The park is closed.
 Leave while you can.'"  (Many thanks to Bill Hamilton,
 Errol Bruce-Knapp, Tom King, Billy Dee and Steve
 Wilson, Jr. for this story.)


      On Tuesday, March 11, 1997, at 6:30 p.m., which
 was the second night of the UFO flap in Phoenix, three
 orange spheres appeared over the south bank of the
 Kanawha River, in the South Hills section of
 Charleston, West Virginia.
      Patricia J. Blake and her nine-year-old daughter
 were on Oakwood Road in South Hills when they
 sighted the objects.  "The first light was coming down
 towards the woods vertically," Mrs. Blake said, "It was
 very orange and had a long trail behind it.  Two other
 lights of the same description were also coming down,
 also with tails behind them.  The first one was now in
 the middle and seemed to slow down at one point."
      Mrs. Blake said the three UFOs were arrayed
 like this:
                              0          0

      "Then all three appeared to stay in this position
 for a few minutes, the larger moving rather slowly to
 our right.  When we first saw them, they were maybe
 45 degrees above the horizon (and then) came down
 to a much lower angle, I would say 25 degrees."
      Mrs. Blake estimated that the UFOs hovered over
 a wooded area south of Route 61 and west of Route 119.
 "The lights darted to the west, somewhat southwest,
 hovered at the second site for 8 to 10 minutes," she
 added.  "It was still daylight and the sky was nearly
 cloudless."  The UFOs then sped away.
      At 6:45 p.m., four C-130 Air National Guard planes
 flew across the Kanawha River, heading southwest in
 the same direction as the orange UFOs.  Mrs. Blake
 said she believes the planes came from Yeager Field
 airport, northeast of Charleston.  (Email Interview)


      In addition to Arizona and West Virginia, "orange
 sphere" UFOs were also seen over Quebec.  Since
 Friday, March 14, the ufological group CEIPI has
 interviewed 24 eyewitnesses.
      Most of the sightings took place over Breckenridge,
 a small town on the north shore of the Ottawa River
 near Aylemer (population 25,724), just west of
 Canada's capital city, Ottawa.
      On Friday, March 14, shortly before 8 p.m., a
 glowing orange light was seen over Breckenridge.
 Shortly after 8, a man in Gatineau, Quebec
 (population 73,479) eight miles (12 kilometers)
 north of Ottawa, saw "a definite orange light."
      At 8:45 p.m., another man "saw the same thing
 but a little more yellow" over the Parc de la Gatineau,
 along the Ottawa River.
      On Saturday, March 15, at 10:15 p.m., a total of
 10 eyewitnesses told CEIPI that they saw "an unknown
 object" hovering close to the ice on the Ottawa River.
 The UFO had six arrays of white light and appeared
 in the same place in the Parc de la Gatineau off
 Route 148 as the previous night.
      On Monday, March 17, at 9:50 p.m., another ten
 witnesses saw "a very brilliant and strong" aerial
 light glowing behind the mountain at Breckenridge.
      According to Jean Casault of CEIPI, the Aylmer
 police reportedly told his group that the lights were
 "military flares" being lit on the firing range at CFB
 Connaught, near Ottawa.
      Meanwhile, below the border, radio buff Tony
 O'Neill switched on his BC860XLT 100-channel
 12-band Uniden Bearcat scanner.  At 7:20 p.m. on
 Monday, March 17, he picked up an intriguing
 exchange between Air Traffic Controllers (ATCs)
 and six jetliner pilots.
      The pilots were talking to the ATCs in Albany,
 New York and Burlington, Vermont, he said.  "One
 pilot radioed 'A bright light approached us, went
 vertical and dropped into the horizon.'"
      The pilot asked both ATCs to confirm his
 position, and they did--the jetliner was 30 miles
 (48 kilometers) east of Burlington or 150 miles
 (240 kilometers) northeast of Albany.  That puts
 the UFO over the forest area just south of
 Hardwick, Vermont (population 1,476)
      Six pilots discussed the sighting with the
 towers, O'Neill said, describing the UFO as
 having "fire coming out of the back and left or
 made a contrail."  Controllers asked the pilots
 if they would be willing to file a report.  Some said
 yes and were given the phone number of the Federal
 Aviation Administration (FAA) center in Nashua, New
 Hampshire. (Email Interview)
 (Many thanks to Jean Casault and Helene Dupont
 of CEIPI for this report.)


      At 6:30 a.m. on January 24, 1997, Sherry Howell
 and her husband left Key West to drive back to their
 home in Florida.  As they drove north on Route 1, a
 thunderstorm crowded the western horizon over the
 Gulf of Mexico.  At 7:30 a.m., just north of Marathon
 (population 1,500), "we were crossing a bridge when
 I saw the first one," Sherry reported.  "Then I saw what
 seemed to be a developed into an object like
 the first only much lower on the horizon and much
 closer to the highway."
      While her husband drove, Sherry snapped some
 photos of both objects.  "The (second) object was no
 more than a half-mile from us.  The other was much
 higher in the sky and so it was more difficult to estimate
 distance.  Both objects were silvery gray."
      She estimated that the more distant UFO was "the
 size of a man's thumbnail at arm's length" while the
 closer one was "larger than a bus."
      "The front of the larget object had a darker gray
 front," she said, "It reminded me of the front of a
 microwave (oven).  Neither object moved while we were
 observing them."
      Mrs. Howell sent her roll of film to a developer.
 But the finished photos showed only the dark overcast
 sky--not the objects.  (Email Interview)


      On Monday, March 17, 1997, at 9:04 a.m., "a bright
 streak" appeared in the sky over Montpellier, a seaport
 city on the Mediterranean midway between Nimes and
 Narbonne.  The object was seen by commuters driving
 to work and by mothers dropping off their children at
 school.  Witnesses described the UFO as "moving
 very fast from the northeast to the southeast."
      The UFOs semi-circular flight path was confirmed
 by the pilot of an Air France jetliner, who spotted the
 object at 30,000 feet over Montpellier.  "The phenomenon
 disappeared very quickly."  (Many thanks to SOS OVNI
 for this report.)


      On or about February 25, 1997, teenager Maria
 Amparo Galvez was walking home from school in her
 hometown of Puerto Arenas, at the southern tip of
 Chile, when a glowing UFO suddenly appeared.
      According to Carlos Munoz, an investigator for
 Agrupacion de Investigaciones Ovniologicas (AION),
 Maria ran away and "was hit in the back by many
 small balls of light--flashes that peppered her back."
      Maria remembers nothing else of the strange
 incident except "waking up at another location
 four hours later."
      On February 24, 1997, an odd "ring-shaped OVNI"
 (Spanish acronym for UFO) was seen hovering above
 Lago (Lake) de Rapel in the Andes.
      The following day, February 25, 1997, Fuerzas
 Aereas de Chile's (Chilean Air Force's) crack aerobatics
 team, Los Halcones, was performing at an air show in
 Pucon when a UFO slipped into the restricted airspace.
      "The object was ring-like," AION reported, "It looked
 like a ring of smoke but very bright.  It turned on its axis
 and left the area very slowly (about 60 mph), moving
 east.  The object was filmed by two different witnesses,
 one of them the air traffic controller at Pucon."
 (Many thanks to Luis Sanchez for this story.)


      On Monday, March 17, 1997, at 11 p.m., people
 living in Boca Negra, a suburban town at the north end
 of Aeropuerto Internacional Jorge Chavez spotted two
 disc-shaped UFOs beyond the airport's runway, near
 the beach.  Boca Negra is 20 kilometers (12 miles)
 north of Lima, the capital of Peru.
      According to China's Xinhua news agency, about
 a dozen witnesses described the UFOs as "saucer-
 shaped craft...with multicolored lights flashing
 intermittently."  The UFOs hovered for several minutes
 and then flew away to the northeast.  (Many thanks
 to Erik S. for this story.)


      On February 22, 1997, at 4:58 p.m., Messias de
 Oliveira was walking through the Bairro de Nordexte
 in Aracagi, a town in Brazil's northeastern state of
 Joao Pessoa.  Aracagi is close to Guarabira, which
 has been the focus of a UFO flap that began on
 April 4, 1996.
      As she walked by the Compostagem bus stop,
 she saw "an oval-shaped light, extremely bright,
 rising into the air, giving the appearance of being
 hidden behind the bus station.  It gave off whitish
 smoke."  At first, Messias "thought it was a teardrop
 shaped fireworks display before realizing it was far
 stranger than that."  She thought, "It's going to fall,"
 but "the object continued to rise noiselessly into the
 air."  She was reportedly "shaken by the experience."
 (See the Winter 1997 issue of Samizdat.  Muito
 obrigado a Scott Corrales para ese.)


      On Wednesday, March 12, 1997, at 8 p.m., a huge
 "flying disc" estimated to be 100 feet (30 meters) in
 diameter, appeared over Mount Sterling, Ohio
 (population 1,623), a small town in Madison County
 22 miles (35 kilometers) southwest of Columbus.
      The saucer was seen by two couples, one at each
 end of the town.  They estimated that it floated 50
 feet (15 meters) off the ground and flew from east to
 west.  "It was over the town for four and a half minutes.
 There was no noise.  The departure path was to the
 west at a very quick speed."
      According to investigator Jim Donohue of Equinox,
 the eyewitnesses included a woman age 35, a girl
 age 14, a man in his early 70s and another man in
 his middle 50s.
      The same night, at 9:15 p.m., Ron Schaffner of
 Tri-States Advocates of Scientific Knowledge
 (T.A.S.K.) received a call from a farmer in Aberdeen
 (population 1,600), a town on the Ohio River.  The
 man reported "a formation of three to five lights"
 and the lights "appeared orange or white-red in color.
 Three lights in a row, then two on top."
      The same farm was visited by a smilar array of
 UFO lights the night of October 16, 1996.  The UFOs
 appeared near the zenith of the barn on Flaugher
 Hill Road in Aberdeen.  Three T.A.S.K. members,
 Kenneth Young, Terry Enders and Dale Farmer,
 interviewed the farmer back in October.  The group's
 investigation in Aberdeen continues.  (Many thanks
 to Kenneth Young, T.A.S.K. public relations
 director, for this story.)

 From the UFO Files...


      One of the strangest cases in the annals of the
 Lake Michigan Triangle took place 32 years ago
 this week.
      "She was Joan Williams, 39, a Chicago Heights
 (Illinois) schoolteacher who owned a Cessna 170B,
 N2522C.  She left Wings Airport, Chicago, at noon
 on a Saturday morning, March 20, 1965, carrying
 fuel sufficient for four hours, 30 minutes.  She was
 not on a flight plan.  She has not been seen since."
      "For some reason the case stimulated the
 interest of the Chicago newspapers.  It stayed in the
 headlines for weeks as officials searched vainly for
 some evidence of what happened.  Virtually everyone
 Miss Williams knew was contacted.  Her bank records
 and personal life were investigated thoroughly on the
 chance that the disappearance was intentional.  The
 lake (Lake Michigan) was combed for some scrap of
 wreckage that might solve the mystery."
      But the search was in vain.  Joan Williams's
 Cessna vanished from the FAA radar scope while
 the plane was airborne southwest of Ludington,
 Michigan.  She has not been seen since.
 Fawcett Gold Medal Books, 1977, pages 164-165)


      Don't miss our parent site, UFO INFO, at this
      Also, back issues of UFO ROUNDUP can be
 found at

 That's it for this week.  Look for more saucer news
 next weekend from..."the paper that goes home,

 UFO ROUNDUP: Copyright 1997 by Masinaigan
 Productions, all rights reserved.  Readers may post
 any item from UFO ROUNDUP on their websites
 or in newsgroups provided that the reader cites the
 newsletter and its editor by name and lists the date
 of the newsletter in which the item appeared. >>

-> Send "subscribe   iufo " to
->  Posted by:

Next: UFO roundup 3/30/1997