Sacred Texts  Esoteric & Occult   Mysteries
Buy CD-ROM   Buy Books about UFOs
Index  Previous  Next 

Extraterrestrial Biological Entities

                              ³  ³
                              ³  ³
                 Ί   T R U S T   N O   O N E   Ί
                              ³  ³
                              ³  ³
                            /      \               //======//
      ===\\                /        \             //     //
          \\              /          \           //====//
         ==\\            +------------+              ///
Things to beware of in 1997:

Chernobyl.  (And not just the one which already blew.)



Message #799 - INFO.PARANET
   Date : 25-Jan-91 14:00
   From : Michael Corbin
     To : All
Subject : EBE #1
Recently, Jerry Clark published the first of three volumes titled "UFOs in the
1980s," an invaluable research tool containing a host of information on the
who, where and what of UFOlogy. With his kind permission and the kind
permission of Apogee Publishing Company, we are reprinting an article taken
from that book -- Extraterrestrial Biological Entity.  In this article, Jerry
culls all of the past history and controversy surrounding the MJ-12 controversy
and other related material that has spewed forth from the extreme side of
UFOlogy representing the ETH such as Lear, Cooper and others. Although this
might be considered by some to be "old news," Jerry's chronology of events shed
a different light on the players that have made up this compendium of scenarios
-- aliens eating humans, genetic experimentation and the gamut of
sensationalistic information that drove Paul Bennewitz to an NBD at the kind
hands of admitted-disinformant, William L. Moore.

This article is being presented here in its entirety contained in 18 messages
including this one.  The entire body of these messages are copyrighted (C) 1990
by Apogee Books with license to ParaNet(sm) Information Service for
reproduction on this forum.  No further reposting or copying is allowed without
express written permission of the publisher.

This file was provided by ParaNet(sm) Information Service and its network of
international affiliates. ParaNet has received exclusive permission to reprint
this article by the copyright holder.
============================================================ For further
information on ParaNet(sm), contact: Michael Corbin ParaNet Information Service
P.O. Box 928 Wheatridge, CO  80034-0928
============================================================ UFOs in the 1980s
(C) 1990 by Apogee Books and Jerome Clark Pages 85 - 109
============================================================ EXTRATERRESTRIAL

 Perhaps the strangest and most convoluted UFO story of the 1980s concerns
allegations  from  various  sources,  some   of   them individuals  connected
with military and  intelligence  agencies, that  the U.S. government not only
has communicated with but  has an  ongoing  relationship  with  what  are
known  officially  as "extraterrestrial biological entities," or EBEs.

The Emenegger/Sandler Saga: The story begins in 1973, when Robert Emenegger
and  Alan  Sandler,  two  well-connected  Los  Angeles businessmen, were
invited to Norton Air Force Base in  California to  discuss  a  possible
documentary film  on  advanced  research projects. Two military officials, one
the base's head of the  Air Force  Office  of Special Investigations, the
other,  the  audio- visual director Paul Shartle, discussed a number of
projects. One of them involved UFOs. This one sounded the most interesting  and
plans were launched to go ahead with a film on the subject.

 Emenegger and Sandler were told of a film taken at Holloman AFB, New  Mexico,
in  May  1971.  In  October  1988,  in  a  national television broadcast,
Shartle would declare that he had seen  the 16mm  film  showing "three
disc-shaped craft. One  of  the  craft landed  and two of them went away." A
door opened on  the  landed vehicle and three beings emerged. Shartle said,
"They were human- size.  They  had an odd, gray complexion and a  pronounced
nose. They  wore tightfitting jump suits, [and] thin  headdresses  that
appeared  to  be communication devices, and in their  hands  they held  a
'translator.' A Holloman base commander  and  other  Air Force officers went
out to meet them" (Howe, 1989).

 Emenegger was led to believe he would be given the film for  use in  his
documentary. He was even taken to Norton and  shown  the landing  site  and the
building in which the spaceship  had  been stored  and  others (Buildings 383
and 1382)  in  which  meetings between  Air  Force personnel and the aliens had
 been  conducted over the next several days. According to his sources, the
landing had  taken place at 6 a.m. The extraterrestrials  were  "doctors,
professional  types." Their eyes had vertical slits like a  cat's and their
mouths were thin and slitlike, with no chins." All that Emenegger was told of
what occurred in the meetings was a  single stray "fact": that the military
people said they were  monitoring signals from an alien group with which they
were unfamiliar,  and did their ET guests know anything about them? The ETs
said no.

 Emenegger's military sources said he would be given 3200 feet of film  taken
of  the  landing.  At  the  last  minute,   however, permission  was
withdrawn, although Emenegger and  Sandler  were encouraged   to  describe  the
 Holloman  episode  as   something hypothetical, something that could happen or
might happen in  the future.  Emenegger  went to Wright-Patterson AFB,  where
Project Blue Book had been located until its closing in 1969, to ask Col.
George  Weinbrenner  one  of  his  military  contacts,  what  had happened.
According  to Emenegger's account, the  exchange  took place in Weinbrenner's
office. The colonel stood up, walked to  a chalkboard  and  complained in a
loud voice, "That damn  MIG  25! Here  we're  so public with everything we
have. But  the  Soviets have  all  kinds of things we don't know about. We need
 to  know more about the MIG 25!" Moving to a bookshelf and continuing  his
monologue  about the Russian jet fighter, he handed  Emenegger  a copy  of  J.
Allen Hynek's The UFO Experience  (1972),  with  the author's signature and
dedication to Weinbrenner. "It was like  a scene from a Kafka play," Emenegger
would recall , inferring from the colonel's odd behavior that he was confirming
the reality  of the   film  while  making  sure  that  no  one  overhearing
the conversation realized that was what he was doing.

The  Suffern Story: On October 7, 1975, a 27-year old  carpenter, Robert
Suffern,  of Bracebridge, Ontario, got a  call  from  his sister who had seen a
"fiery glow" near his barn and concluded it was  on  fire. Suffern drove to the
spot and,  after  determining that there was no problem, got back on the road.
There, he  would testify, he encountered a large disc-shaped object resting in
his path. "I was scared," he said. "It was right there in front of me with  no
lights and no sign of life." But even  before  his  car could  come to a
complete stop, the object abruptly ascended  out of sight. Suffern turned his
car around and decided to head  home rather  than  to  his  sister's  place,
his  original   intended destination. At that point a small figure wearing a
helmet and  a silver-gray suit stepped in front of the car, causing Suffern  to
hit  the brakes and skid to a stop. The figure ran into a  field. Then,
according to Suffern, "when he got to the fence, he put his hands  on a post
and went over it with no effort at all.  It  was like he was weightless"
(UFOIL, n.d.).

 Within  two days Suffern's report was on the wire services,  and Suffern
was besieged  by  UFO   investigators,   journalists, curiosity-seekers, and
others. Suffern, who made no  effort  to exploit his story and gave every
appearance of believing what  he was  saying, soon tired of discussing it. A
year later,  however, Suffern  and his wife told a Canadian investigator that
a  month after  the encounter, they were informed that  some  high-ranking
officials  wished to speak with them. Around this time,  so  they claimed,
they  were  given  thorough  examinations  by  military doctors. After that an
appointment was set up for December 12 and on  that  day an Ontario Provincial
Police cruiser  arrived  with three  military officers, one Canadian, two
American.  They  were carrying books and other documents. In the long
conversation that followed,  the officers apologized for the UFO landing,
claiming it   was  a  "mistake"  caused  by  the  malfunctioning   of   an
extraterrestrial spaceship.

 The  officers produced close-up pictures of UFOs, claiming  that the  U.S. and
Canadian governments had had intimate knowledge  of aliens  since 1943 and were
cooperating with them.  The  officers even  knew  the  exact  dates  and  times
 of  two  previous  but unreported  UFO sightings on the Suffern property.  The
 Sufferns said  the  officers had answered all their  questions  fully  and
frankly,  but  they would not elaborate on what they  were  told. Reinterviewed
 about  the matter some months  later,  the  couple stuck by their story but
added few further details.

 The  investigator, Harry Tokarz, would remark,  "Robert  Suffern strikes one
as an individual who carefully measures his thoughts. His  sincerity  comes
through clearly as he  slowly  relates  his concepts and ideas. His wife, a
home-bred country girl, is  quick to air her views and state unequivocally what
she believes to  be fact" (CUFORN, 1983).

EBEs in South Dakota: On February 9, 1978, a curious document--an apparent
carbon  copy  of an official U.S.  Air  Force  incident report-arrived at the
office of the National Enquirer in Lantana, Florida.  Accompanying the document
was an unsigned letter  dated "29  Jan." It read: "The incident stated in the
attached  report actually  occurred.  The Air Force appointed a  special  team
of individuals  to  investigate  the incident. I was  one  of  those
individuals.  I am still on active duty and so I cannot state  my name at this
time. It is not that I do not trust the Enquirer  (I sure [sic] you would treat
my name with [sic] confidence but I do not trust others.) The incident which
occurred on 16 Nov. 77, was classified top secret on 2 Dec 77. At that time I
obtained a copy of the original report. I thought at that time that the Air
Force would  probably  hush the whole thing up, and they did.  The  Air Force
ordered the silence on 1 Dec 77, after which,  the  report was  classified.
There were 16 pictures taken at the scene. I  do not have access to the
pictures at this time" (Pratt, 1984).

 The report, stamped FOR OFFICIAL USE ONLY, purported to be  from the commander
of the 44th Missile Security Squadron at  Ellsworth AFB near Rapid City, South
Dakota. The incident was described  as a  "Helping  Hand (security
violation)/Covered  Wagon  (security violation) at Lima 9 (68th SMSq Area), 7
miles SW of Nisland, SD, at  2100  hours on 16 Nov. 77." The recipient of the
report  was identified  as "Paul D. Hinzman, SSgt, USAF,  Comm/Plotter,  Wing
Security  Control."  Two security men, Airmen 1st  Class  Kenneth Jenkins  and
Wayne  E.  Raeke,  experienced  and  reported   the incident,  which  was
investigated by Capt. Larry D.  Stokes  and TSgt. Robert E. Stewart.

 The  document told an incredible story. At 10:59 on the  evening of November
16 an alarm sounded from the Lima Nine missile  site. Jenkins  and Raeke, at
tHe Lima Launch Control Facility 35  miles away,  were dispatched to the scene.
On their arrival  Raeke  set out  to  check the rear fence line. There he
spotted  a  helmeted figure  in  a glowing green metallic suit. The figure
pointed  a weapon  at Raeke's rifle and caused it to  disintegrate,  burning
Raeke's  hands and arms in the process. Raeke  summoned  Jenkins, who  carried
his  companion back to their  Security  Alert  Team vehicle.  When  Jenkins
went to the rear fence line, he  saw  two similarly-garbed figures. He ordered
them to halt, but when  they ignored  his command, he opened fire. His bullets
struck  one  in the shoulder and the other in the helmet. The figures ran over
a hill and were briefly lost to view. Jenkins pursued them and when he  next
saw  them, they  were  entering  a  20-foot-in-diameter saucer-shaped object,
which shot away over the Horizon.

 As  Raeke  was  air-evacuated  from  the  scene,   investigators discovered
that the missile's nuclear components had been stolen.

 Enquirer  reporters suspected a hoax but when they called  Rapid City and
Ellsworth to check on the names, they were surprised  to learn  that such
persons did exist. Moreover, all were on  active duty.  The  Enquirer launched
an investigation,  sending  several reporters  to  Rapid City. Over the course
of the next  few  days they found that although the individuals were real, the
document inaccurately  listed  their  job titles,  the  geography  of  the
alleged  incident was wrong (there was no nearby hill over  which intruders
could have run), Raeke had suffered no injuries, he and Jenkins did not even
know each other, and no one (including Rapid City  civilian  residents and area
ranchers) had  heard  anything about  such  an encounter. As one of the
reporters,  Bob  Pratt, wrote   in  a  subsequent  account,  "We  found  more
than   20 discrepancies  or  errors in the report  -wrong  names,  numbers,
occupations, physical layouts and so on. Had the Security  Option alert
mentioned in the report taken place, it would have involved all  security
personnel at the base and everyone at the base  and in  Rapid  City (Population
45,000 plus) would have  known  about it."

The  Bennewitz  Affair:  In the late  1970s  Paul  Bennewitz,  an Albuquerque
businessman trained as a physicist, became  convinced that   he   was
monitoring   electromagnetic   signals    which extraterrestrials   were  using
 to  control  persons  they   had abducted. Bennewitz tried to decode these
signals and believed he was succeeding. At the same time he began to see what
he  thought were UFOs maneuvering around the Manzano Nuclear Weapons  Storage
Facility  and the Coyote Canyon test area, located near  Kirtland AFB, and he
filmed them.

 Bennewitz reported all this to the Tucson-based Aerial Phenomena Research
Organization (APRO), whose directors were  unimpressed, judging  Bennewitz  to
be deluded. But at  Kirtland,  Bennewitz's claims,  or  at  least  some  of
them,  were  being  taken  more seriously.  On  October 24, 1980, Bennewitz
contacted  Air  Force Office of Special Investigations (AFOSI) agent Sgt.
Richard  Doty (whose  previous tour of duty had been at Ellsworth) after  being
referred  to him by Maj. Ernest Edwards, head of  base  security, and  related
that  he had evidence  that  something  potentially threatening  was going on
in the Manzano Weapons Storage Area.  A "Multipurpose  Internal OSI Form,"
signed by Maj. Thomas A.  Cseh (Commander  of the Base Investigative
Detachment), dated  October 28,  1980,  and  subsequently  released  under  the
 Freedom   of Information Act, states:

 "On  26 Oct 80, SA [Special Agent] Doty, with the assistance  of JERRY MILLER,
GS-15, Chief, Scientific Advisor for Air Force Test and  Evaluation Center,
KAFB , interviewed Dr. BENNEWITZ  at  his home in the Four Hills section of
Albuquerque, which is  adjacent to  the  northern boundary of Manzano Base.
(NOTE:  MILLER  is  a former  Project Blue Book USAF Investigator who was
assigned  to Wright-Patterson  AFB (W-PAFB), OH, with FTD [Foreign  Technology
Division].  Mr.  MILLER  is one of  the  most  knowledgeable  and impartial
investigators of Aerial Objects in the southwest.)  Dr. BENNEWITZ  has been
conducting independent research  into  Aerial Phenomena  for  the last 15
months. Dr. BENNEWITZ  also  produced several  electronic  recording  tapes,
allegedly  showing   high periods of electrical magnetism being emitted from
Manzano/Coyote Canyon  area. Dr. BENNEWITZ also produced several photographs
of flying  objects taken over the general Albuquerque area.  He  has several
pieces of electronic surveillance equipment  pointed  at Manzano  and  is
attempting to record high  frequency  electrical beam  pulses. Dr. BENNEWITZ
claims these Aerial  Objects  produce these  pulses.  . . . After analyzing the
data collected  by  Dr. BENNEWITZ, Mr MILLER related the evidence clearly shows
that some type of unidentified aerial objects were caught on film; however, no
conclusions could be made whether these objects pose a  threat to
Manzano/Coyote Canyon areas. Mr MILLER felt the  electronical [sic]  recording
tapes  were inconclusive and  could  have  been gathered  from several
conventional sources. No sightings,  other than these, have been reported in
the area."

 On November 10 Bennewitz was invited to the base to present  his findings to a
small group of officers and scientists. Exactly one week later Doty informed
Bennewitz that AFOSI had decided against further  consideration of the matter.
Subsequently Doty  reported receiving a call from then-New Mexico Sen. Harrison
Schmitt,  who wanted  to know what AFOSI was planning to do  about  Bennewitz's
allegations.  When  informed that no investigation  was  planned, Schmitt spoke
with Brig. Gen. William Brooksher of base security. The  following  July New
Mexico's other senator,  Pete  Domenici, looked into the matter, meeting
briefly with Doty before  dashing off to talk with Bennewitz personally.
Domenici subsequently lost interest and dropped the issue.

 Bennewitz  was also aware of supposed cattle  mutilations  being reported  in
the western United States. At one point  he  met  a young mother who told him
that one evening in May 1980, after she and  her  six-year-old son saw several
UFOs in a  field  and  one approached them, they suffered confusion and
disorientation, then a period of amnesia which lasted as long as four hours.
Bennewitz brought  the  two to University of Wyoming  psychologist  R.  Leo
Sprinkle, who hypnotized them and got a detailed abduction  story from  the
mother and a sketchy one from the little boy. Early  in the  course  of the
abduction they observed aliens  take  a  calf aboard the UFO and mutilate it
while it was still alive, removing the   animal's  genitals.  At  one  point
during   the   alleged experience,  the  mother said, they were taken via  UFO
into  an underground  area  which  she believed was  in  New  Mexico.  She
briefly  escaped  her captors and fled into an area  where  there were  tanks
of water. She looked into one of them and  saw  body parts  such  as tongues,
hearts and internal  organs,  apparently from  cattle.  But  she also observed
a human  arm  with  a  hand attached.  There  was also the "top of a bald
head,"  apparently from  one of the hairless aliens, but before she could  find
 out for  sure,  she was dragged away. The objects in  the  tank,  she said,
"horrified me and made me sick and frightened me to  death" (Howe, 1989). Later
she wondered about the other tanks and  about their contents.

The William Moore/MJ-12 Maze: Late in the summer of 1979  William L.  Moore
had left a teaching job in a small Minnesota  town  to relocate  in Arizona,
where he hoped to pursue a writing  career. Moore was deeply involved in the
investigation of an apparent UFO crash  in New Mexico in July 1947, a case he
and Charles  Berlitz would  recount in their The Roswell Incident the following
 year. After  his move to the Southwest Moore became close to Coral  and James
Lorenzen  of the Aerial  Phenomena  Research  Organization (APRO) and in due
course Moore was asked to join the APRO  board. The  Lorenzens told him about
Bennewitz's claims. Bennewitz,  Jim Lorenzen thought, was "prone to make great
leaps of logic on  the basis of incomplete data" (Moore, 1989a).

 The Roswell Incident was published in the summer of 1980 and  in September  a
debate on UFOs at the Smithsonian  Institution  was scheduled  to take place.
Moore set off from his Arizona home  to Washington, D.C., to attend the debate
and along the way promoted his  new  book  on radio and television shows.
According  to  an account he would give seven years later, an extraordinary
series of events began while he was on this trip.

 He had done a radio show in Omaha and was in the station  lobby, suitcase in
hand, on his way to catch a plane which was to  leave within the hour when a
receptionist asked if he was Mr. Moore. He had  a  phone  call. The caller was
a man who  claimed  to  be  a colonel at nearby Offutt AFB, He said, "We think
you're the  only one  we've heard who seems to know what he's talking  about."
He asked  if  he and Moore could meet and discuss  matters  further. Moore
said  that  since  he was leaving town  in  the  next  few minutes,  that
would not be possible, though he wrote  down  the man's phone number.

 Moore went on to Washington. On September 8, on his way back, he did a radio
show in Albuquerque. On the way out of the studio the receptionist  told  him
he had a phone  call.  The  caller,  who identified  himself  as an individual
from nearby  Kirtland  AFB, said,  "We think you're the only one we've heard
about who  seems to know what he's talking about." Moore said, "Where have I
heard that before?"

 Soon afterwards Moore and the individual he would call  "Falcon" met  at a
local restaurant. Falcon, later alleged (though  denied by  Moore) to be U.S.
Air Force Sgt. Richard Doty, said he  would be  wearing a red tie. This first
meeting would initiate a  long- running  relationship  between  Moore (and,
beginning  in  1982, partner Jaime Shandera) and 10 members of a shadowy group
said to be connected with military intelligence and to be opposed to  the
continuation  of  the UFO cover-up. The story that  emerged  from this
interaction goes like this:

 The  first  UFO crash, involving bodies of  small,  gray-skinned humanoids,
occurred  near  Corona,  New  Mexico,  in  1947  (the "Roswell  incident"). Two
years later a humanoid was found  alive and  it  was housed at Los Alamos until
its death  in  the  early 1950s.  It  was called EBE,  after  "extraterrestrial
 biological entity," and it was the first of three the U.S. government  would
have  in its custody between then and now. An Air Force  captain, now  a
retired colonel, was EBE-1's constant companion. At  first communication with
it was almost impossible; then a speech device which enabled the being to speak
a sort of English was  implanted in  its  throat. It turned out that EBE-1, the
 equivalent  of  a mechanic  on a spaceship, related what it knew of the nature
 and purpose of the visitation.

 In  response  to the Roswell incident, MJ-12-the MJ  stands  for
"Majestic"--as  set  up  by executive order  of  President  Harry Truman  on
September 24, 1947. MJ-12 operates as a  policy-making body.  Project  Aquarius
is an umbrella group in  which  all  the various compartments dealing with
ET-related issues perform their various    functions.   Project   Sigma
conducts    electronic communication  with  the extraterrestrials, part  of  an
 ongoing contact  project run through the National Security  Agency  since
1964,  following a landing at Holloman AFB in late April of  that year.

 Nine extraterrestrial races are visiting the earth. One of these races,
little  gray-skinned  people  from  the   third   planet surrounding  Zeta
Reticuli, have been here for 25,000  years  and influenced  the direction of
human evolution. They also  help  in the shaping of our religious beliefs. Some
important  individuals within the cover-up want it to end and are preparing the
American people for the reality of the alien presence through the  vehicle of
popular entertainment, including the films Close Encounters of the Third Kind,
whose climax is a thinly-disguised version of the Holloman landing, and ET.

 At CIA headquarters in Langley, Virginia, there is a thick  book called  "The
Bible," a compilation of all  the  various  project reports.

 According  to his own account, which he would not  relate  until 1989,   Moore
 cooperated  with  his   AFOSI   sources-including, prominently,  Richard
Doty-and provided them  with  information. They  informed  him  that  there
was  considerable  interest  in Bennewitz.  Moore was made to understand that
as his part of  the bargain  he was to spy on Bennewitz and also on APRO as
well  as, in Moore's words, "to a lesser extent, several other individuals"
(Moore, 1989a). He learned that several government agencies  were interested in
Bennewitz's activities and they wanted to  inundate him   with  false
information-disinformation,  in   intelligence parlance-to  confuse  him.
Moore says he was not  one  of  those providing  the disinformation, but he
knew some of those  of  who were, such as Doty.

 Bennewitz  on  his own had already begun to  devise  a  paranoid
interpretation of what he thought he was seeing and hearing,  and the
disinformation passed on to him built on that foundation. His sources  told him
that the U.S. government and malevolent  aliens are in an uneasy alliance to
control the planet, that the  aliens are  killing  and mutilating not only
cattle  but  human  beings, whose organs they need to lengthen their lives, and
that they are even  eating  human  flesh. In underground  bases  at  government
installations in Nevada and New Mexico human and alien scientists work
together on ghastly experiments, including the creation  of soulless androids
out of human and animal body parts. Aliens  are abducting  as many as one
American in 40 and  implanting  devices which control human behavior. ClA
brainwashing and other  control techniques  are  doing  the same, turning life
on  earth  into  a nightmare  of  violence  and  irrationality.  It  was,  as
Moore remarks,  "the  wildest  science fiction  scenario  anyone  could
possibly imagine."

 But Bennewitz believed it. He grew ever more obsessed and  tried to  alert
prominent  persons to  the  imminent  threat,  showing photographs  which  he
held showed human-alien  activity  in  the Kirtland area but which
dispassionate observers thought  depicted natural  rock formations and other
mundane phenomena.  Eventually Bennewitz  was  hospitalized,  but on  his
release  resumed  his activities,  which  continue  to  this  day.  Soon  the
ghoulish scenario  would spread into the larger UFO community  and  beyond and
command  a small but committed band of believers.  But  that would  not  happen
 until  the late 1980s and  it  would  not  be Bennewitz who would be
responsible for it.

 In 1981 the Lorenzens received an anonymous letter from  someone identifying
himself  as a "USAF Airman assigned  to  the  1550th Aircrew Training and
Testing Wing at Kirtland AFB." The  "airman" said,  "On July 16, 1980, at
between 10:30-10:45 A.M.,  Craig  R. Weitzel.  ..  a  Civil Air Patrol Cadet
from  Dobbins  AFB,  Ga., visiting  Kirtland AFB, NM, observed a dull metallic
colored  UFO flying  from  South to North near Pecos New Mexico. Pecos  has  a
secret training site for the 1550th Aircrew Training and  Testing Wing,
Kirtland AFB, NM. WEITZEL was with ten other  individuals, including  USAF
active  duty  airmen,  and  all  witnessed   the sighting. WEITZEL took some
pictures of the object. WEITZEL  went closer  to  the  UFO  and observed the
UFO  land  in  a  clearing approximately 250 yds, NNW of the training area.
WEITZEL observed an  individual  dressed in a metallic suit depart the  craft
and walk  a few feet away. The individual was outside the  craft  for just  a
few minutes. When the individual returned the craft  took off  towards  the
NW." The letter writer said he  had  been  with Weitzel when the UFO flew
overhead, but he had not been with  him to observe the landing.

 The  letter went on to say that late on the evening of the  next day  a tall,
dark-featured, black-suited man  wearing  sunglasses called  on Weitzel at
Kirtland. The stranger claimed to  be  "Mr. Huck" from Sandia Laboratories, a
classified Department of Energy contractor  on  the  base.  Mr. Huck told
Weitzel  he  had  seen something  he  should not have seen, a secret aircraft
from  Los Alamos,  and he demanded all of the photographs. Weitzel  replied
that  he  hadn't taken any, that the photographer was  an  airman whose name he
did not know. "The individual warned Weitzel not to mention  the  sighting to
anyone or Weitzel would be  in  serious trouble,"  the  writer  went  on.
"After  the  individual   left Weitzel[']s room, Weitzel wondered how the
individual knew of the sighting  because Weitzel didn't report the sighting  to
 anyone. Weitzel became scared after thinking of the threat the individual
made.  Weitzel  call [sic] the Kirtland AFB Security  Police  and reported the
incident to them. They referred the incident to  the Air  Force  Office  of
Special  Investigations  (AFOSI),   which investigates  these matters according
to the security  police.  A Mr. Dody [sic], a special agent with OSI, spoke
with Weitzel  and took  a report. Mr. Dody [sic] also obtained all the
photographs of  the  UFO.  Dody [sic] told Weitzel he  would  look  into  the
matter. That was the last anyone heard of the incident."

 But that was not all the correspondent had to say. He added,  "I have  every
reason  to beleive [sic] the  USAF  is  covering  up something.  I spent a lot
of time looking into this matter and  I know  there  is more to it than the
USAF will say. I  have  heard rumors,  but serious rumors here at Kirtland that
the USAF has  a crashed UFO stored in the Manzano Storage area, which is
located in a remote area of Kirtland AFB. This area is heavily guarded by USAF
Security. I have spoke [sic] with two employees  of  Sandia Laboratories,  who
also store classified objects in Manzano,  and they  told me that Sandia has
examined several UFO's  during  the last 20 years. One that crashed near
Roswell NM in the late  50's was  examined  by Sandia scientists. That craft
is  still  being store [sic] in Manzano.

 "I have reason to beleive [sic] OSI is conducting a very  secret investigation
into UFO sightings. OSI took over when Project Blue Book  was  closed.  I was
told this by my  commander,  COL  Bruce Purvine.  COL Purvine also told me that
the investigation was  so secret that most employees of OSI doesn't [sic] even
know it. But COL  Purvine told me that Kirtland AFB, AFOSI District 17  has  a
special secret detachment that investigates sightings around this area.  They
have also investigated the cattle mutilations in  New Mexico."

 In  1985 investigator Benton Jamison located Craig Weitzel,  who confirmed
that he had indeed seen a UFO in 1980 and reported  it to  Sgt.  Doty. But his
sighting, while interesting,  was  rather less dramatic than the CE3 reported
in the letter; Weitzel saw  a silver-colored object some 10,000 to 15,000 feet
overhead.  After maneuvering  for a few minutes, he told Jamison, it
"accelerated like you never saw anything accelerate before" (Hastings,  1985).
He also said he knew nothing of a meeting with anyone  identified as "Mr.

 In  December  1982,  in response to  a  Freedom  of  Information request  from
 Barry Greenwood of Citizens  Against  UFO  Secrecy (CAUS),  Air  Force Office
of Special Investigations  released  a two  page  OSI Complaint Form stamped
"For  Official  Use  Only." Dated September 8, 1980, it was titled "Kirtland
AFB, NM, 8 Aug-3 Sept  80,  Alleged  Sightings of Unidentified  Aerial  Lights
in Restricted Test Range." The document described several  sightings of UFOs in
the Manzano Weapons Storage Area, at the Coyote Canyon section  of the
Department of Defense Restricted Test Range.  One of the reports cited was a
New Mexico State Patrolman's August 10 observation  of a UFO landing. (A later
check with  state  police sources  by Larry Fawcett, a Connecticut police
officer  and  UFO investigator,  uncovered no record of such a report. The
sources asserted  that  the absence of a report could only mean  that  no such
incident  had ever happened.) This intriguing  document  is signed by then OSI
Special Agent Richard C. Doty.

 In  1987, after comparing three documents (the anonymous  letter to  APRO,
the  September 8, 1980, AFOSI Complaint  Form,  and  a purported  AFOSI
document dated August 14,  1980,  and  claiming "frequency  jamming"  by UFOs
in the Kirtland  area),  researcher Brad  Sparks concluded that Doty had
written all three.  In  1989 Moore  confirmed  that  Doty  had written  the
letter  to  APRO. "Essentially it was 'bait,'" he says. "AFOSI knew that
Bennewitz had close ties with APRO at the time, and they were interested in
recruiting  someone  within . . . APRO . . . who would  be  in  a position   to
 provide  them  with  feedback   on   Bennewitz'[s] activities and
communications. Since I was the APRO Board  member in  charge of Special
Investigations in 1980, the Weitzel  letter was passed to me for action shortly
after it had been  received." According to Bruce Maccabee, Doty admitted
privately that he  had written the Ellsworth AFB document, basing it on a real
incident which  he wanted to bring to public attention. Doty has  made  no
public comment on any of these allegations. Moore says Doty  "was almost
certainly a part of [the Ellsworth report], but not in  a capacity  where he
would have been responsible for  creating  the documents involved" (Moore,

 Doty was also the source of an alleged AFOSI communication dated November 17,
1980, and destined to become known as the  "Aquarius document." Allegedly sent
from AFOSI headquarters at Bolling  AFB in Washington, D.C., to the AFOSI
District 17 office at Kirtland, it  mentions,  in brief and cryptic form,
analyses  of  negatives from a UFO film apparently taken the previous month.
The  version that   circulated  through  the  UFO  community  states  in   its

 This  is the first mention of "MJ-12" in an  allegedly  official government
document. Moore describes it as an "example of some of the  disinformation
produced in connection  with  the  Bennewitz case.  The document is a retyped
version of a real AFOSI  message with  a  few  spurious additions."  Among  the
 most  significant additions,  by Moore's account, are the bogus references  to
 the U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey and to NASA, which he says was NSA
(National Security Agency) in the original.

 According  to  Moore,  Doty  got the  document  "right  off  the teletype"
(Moore,   1990)  and  showed  it  to   Moore   almost immediately. Later Doty
came by with what purported to be a  copy of  it,  but  Moore noticed that it
was  not  exactly  the  same; material had been added to it. Doty said he
wanted Moore to  give the  doctored copy to Bennewitz. Reluctant to involve
himself  in the  passing  of  this dubious document, Moore sat on  it  for  a
while,  then finally worried that the sources he was  developing, the ones who
were telling him about the U.S. government's alleged interactions with EBEs,
would dry up if he did not cooperate.  So eventually he gave the document to
Bennewitz but urged him not to publicize it. Bennewitz agreed and kept his

 As of September 1982 Moore knew of three copies of the document: the  one
Bennewitz had, one Moore had in safekeeping, and one  he had  in  his briefcase
during a trip he made that month  to  meet someone in San Francisco. He met the
man in the morning and  that afternoon  someone  broke into his car and stole
his  briefcase. Four  months later a copy of the document showed up in the
hands of  a New York lawyer interested in UFOs, and soon  the  document was
circulating widely. Moore himself had little to say  on  the subject  until he
delivered a controversial and explosive  speech to the annual conference of the
Mutual UFO Network (MUFON) in Las Vegas in 1989.

 In  late  1982,  "during," he says, "one of  the  many  friendly conversations
 I had with Richard Doty," Moore mentioned that  he was looking into the old
(and seemingly discredited) story that a UFO had crashed in Aztec, New Mexico,
in 1948. This tale was  the subject  of Frank Scully's 1950 book Behind the
Flying  Saucers. (Moore's long account of his investigation into the affair,
which he found to be an elaborate hoax, would appear in the 1985  MUFON
symposium  proceedings.) Doty said he had never heard  the  story and asked for
details, taking notes as Moore spoke.
 On January 10 and 11, 1983, attorney Peter Gersten, director  of CAUS,  met
with Doty in New Mexico. There were two meetings,  the first of them also
attended by Moore and San Francisco television producer Ron Lakis, the second
by Gersten alone. During the first meeting  Doty  was guarded in his remarks.
But at the  second  he spoke openly about what ostensibly were extraordinary
secrets. He said  the Ellsworth case was the subject of an  investigation  by
AFOSI  and the FBI; nuclear weapons were involved.  The  National Enquirer
investigation, which had concluded the story was  bogus, was  "amateurish." At
least two civilians, a farmer and a  deputy sheriff,  had  been involved, but
were warned not  to  talk.  The government  knows why UFOs appear in certain
places,  Doty  said, but  he  would not elaborate. He added, however, that
"beyond  a shadow of a doubt they're extraterrestrial" (Greenwood, 1988) and
from 50 light years from the earth. He knew of at least three UFO crashes, the
Roswell incident and two others, one from the 1950s, the   other  from  the
196Os.  Bodies  had  been  recovered.   A spectacular incident, much like the
one depicted in the ending of the  film Close Encounters of the Third Kind,
took place in  1966 The  NSA was involved in communications  with
extraterrestrials; the   effort   is  called  Project  Aquarius.  Inside   the
 UFO organizations  government  moles are collecting  information  and
spreading  disinformation. Doty discussed the  Aquarius  document and said the
really important documents are impossible to get out of  the appropriate files.
Some are protected in such a way  that they  will  disintegrate within five
seconds'  exposure  to  air. These  documents tell of agreements between the
U.S.  government and extraterrestrials under which the latter are free to
conduct animal  mutilations  (especially  of cattle) and  to  land  at  a
certain  base,  in exchange for information  about  advanced  UFO technology.
Doty also claimed that via popular entertainment  the American  people  are
being prepared to accept  the  reality  of visitation by benevolent beings from
other worlds.

 At one point in the conversation Doty asked Gersten, "How do you know  that
I'm not here to either give you misinformation  or  to give  you information
which is part of the  programming,  knowing you are going to go out and spread
it around?" (Howe, 1989).

 In  the  1970s, as director of special projects for  the  Denver CBS-TV
affiliate,   Linda   Moulton  Howe   had   produced   12 documentaries,   most
 of   them   dealing   with    scientific, environmental  and health issues.
But the one that attracted  the most  attention was Strange Harvest, which
dealt with  the  then- widespread  reports that cattle in Western and
Midwestern  states were  being  killed and mutilated by persons or  forces
unknown. Most  veterinary  pathologists  said the animals  were  dying  of
unknown  causes.  Farmers,  ranchers  and  some   law-enforcement officers
thought the deaths were mysterious. Some even speculated that
extraterrestrials  were  responsible.   This   possibility intrigued Howe, who
had a lifelong interest in UFOs, and  Strange Harvest argues for a UFO
mutilation link.

 In the fall of 1982, as Howe was working on a documentary on  an unrelated
matter, she got a call from Home Box Office (HBO).  The caller  said  the  HBO
people had  been  impressed  with  Strange Harvest  and wanted to know if Howe
would do a film on  UFOs.  In March 1983 she went to New York to sign a
contract with HBO for a show to be titled UFOs-The ET Factor.

 The  evening  before her meeting with the HBO people,  Howe  had dinner  with
Gersten and science writer Patrick  Huyghe.  Gersten told  Howe  that  he had
met with Sgt. Doty, an  AFOSI  agent  at Kirtland AFB, and perhaps Doty would
be willing to talk on camera or  in  some  other  helpful  capacity  about  the
 incident   at Ellsworth. Gersten would call him and ask if he would be
willing to meet with Howe.

 Subsequently   arrangements  were  made  for  Howe  to  fly   to Albuquerque
on April 9. Doty would meet her at the airport.  But when she arrived that
morning, no one was waiting. She called his home.  A  small boy answered and
said his father was  not  there. Howe  then phoned Jerry Miller, Chief of
Reality Weapons  Testing at Kirtland and a former Blue Book investigator. (He
is mentioned in  the  October  28,  1980,  "Multipurpose  Internal  OSI  Form"
reporting on Doty and Miller's meeting with Bennewitz.) She  knew Miller  from
an  earlier telephone conversation,  when  she  had called  to ask him about
Bennewitz's claims, in which she  had  a considerable  interest.  Miller  asked
 for  a  copy  of  Strange Harvest.  Later he had given Howe his home phone
number and  said to  contact him if she ever found herself in Albuquerque. So
she called and asked if he would pick her up at the airport.

 Miller  drove  Howe to his house. On the way Howe  asked  him  a number  of
questions but got little in the way of  answers.  One question  he  did  not
answer was whether  he  is  the  "Miller" mentioned  in  the Aquarius document.
When they got  to  Miller's residence, Miller called Doty at his home, and Doty
arrived a few minutes  later, responding aggressively to Howe's question  about
where  he  had been. He claimed to have been at the  airport  all along;  where
had she been? "Perhaps," Howe would write, "he  had decided he didn't want to
go through with the meeting, and it was acceptable in his world to leave me
stranded at the airport-until Jerry Miller called his house" (Howe, 1989).

 On  the way to Kirtland, Howe asked Doty, whose manner  remained both defiant
and nervous, if he knew anything about the  Holloman landing. Doty said it
happened but that Robert Emenegger had  the date wrong; it was not May 1971 but
April 25, 1964-12 Hours after a much-publicized CE3 reported by Socorro, New
Mexico,  policeman Lonnie  Zamora. (Zamora said he had seen an egg-shaped
object  on the ground. Standing near it were two child-sized beings in white
suits.)  Military  and scientific personnel at the  base  knew  a landing  was
coming, but "someone blew the time and  coordinates" and  an "advance military
scout ship" had come down at the  wrong time  and  place,  to  be observed by
Zamora.  When  three  UFOs appeared  at Holloman at six o'clock the following
morning,  one landed  while the other two hovered overhead. During the  meeting
between  the  UFO beings and a government  party,  the  preserved bodies of
dead aliens had been given to the aliens , who in  turn had  returned
something  unspecified.  Five  ground  and  aerial cameras recorded this event.

 At  the  Kirtland  gate  Doty waved to the  guard  and  was  let through. They
went to a small white and gray building. Doty  took her  to  what he described
as "my - boss'  office."  Doty  seemed unwilling  to discuss the Ellsworth
case, the  ostensible  reason for the interview, but had much to say about
other matters. First he asked Howe to move from the chair on which she was
sitting  to another in the middle of the room. Howe surmised that this was to
facilitate the surreptitious recording of their conversation, but Doty said
only, "Eyes can see through windows."

 "My  superiors  have  asked me to show you this,"  he  said.  He produced a
brown envelope he had taken from a drawer in the  desk at  which  he was
sitting and withdrew several  sheets  of  white paper.  As he handed them to
Howe, he warned her that they  could not be copied; all she could do was read
them in his presence and ask questions.

 The document gave no indication anywhere as to which government, military  or
scientific agency (if any) had prepared the  report, titled A Briefing Paper
for the President of the United States on the  Subject of Unidentified Flying
Vehicles. The title  did  not specify which President it had in mind, nor did
the document list a date (so far as Howe recalls today) which would have linked
 it to a particular administration.

  The first paragraph, written--as was everything that followed-- in  what Howe
characterizes as "dry bureaucratese," listed  dates and  locations  of  crashes
 and retrievals  of  UFOs  and  their occupants. The latter were invariably
described as 3 1/2 to  four feet tall, gray-skinned and hairless, with
oversized heads, large eyes  and  no noses. It was now known, the document
stated  on  a subsequent  page, that these beings, from a nearby solar  system,
have  been  here  for many thousands of  years.  Through  genetic manipulation
they influenced the course of human evolution and in a  sense  created us. They
had also helped  shape  our  religious beliefs.

 The  July  1947 Roswell crash was mentioned;  so,  however,  was another  one
at Roswell in 1949. Investigators at the site  found five  bodies and one
living alien, who was taken to a safe  house at  the Los Alamos National
Laboratory north of Albuquerque.  The aliens,    small   gray-skinned
humanoids,   were   known    as "extraterrestrial  biological  entities" and
the living  one  was called "EBE" (ee-buh). EBE was befriended (if that was the
 word) by an Air Force officer, but the being died of unknown causes  on June
18, 1952. (EBE's friend, by 1964 a colonel, was among  those who  were  there
to greet the aliens who  landed  at  Holloman.) Subsequently,  it would be
referred to as EBE-1, since  in  later years  another  such being, EBE-2, would
take up residence  in  a safe house. After that, a third, EBE-3, appeared on
the scene and was now living in secret at an American base.

 The  briefing  paper said other crashes had  occurred  one  near Kingman,
Arizona, another just south of Texas in northern Mexico. It  also mentioned the
Aztec crash- The wreckage and  bodies  had been  removed  to such facilities as
Los  Alamos  laboratory  and Wright-Patterson  AFB.  A number of  highly
classified  projects dealt with these materials. They included Snowbird
(research  and development  from the study of an intact spacecraft left  by
the aliens  as  a gift) and Aquarius (the  umbrella  operation  under which the
research and contact efforts were coordinated). Project Sigma was the ongoing
electronic communications effort. There was also   a   defunct  project
Garnet,  intended   to   investigate extraterrestrial  influence on human
evolution. According to  the document, extraterrestrials have appeared at
various intervals in human history-25,000, 15,000, 5000 and 2500 years ago as
well  as now--to manipulate human and other DNA.

 One   paragraph   stated  briefly,  "Two  thousand   years   ago
extraterrestrials  created a being" who was placed here to  teach peace  and
love. Elsewhere a passing mention was made of  another group of EBEs, called
the "Talls."

 The paper said Project Blue Book had existed solely to take heat off  the  Air
 Force and to draw attention  away  from  the  real projects.  Doty mentioned
an "MJ-12," explaining that "MJ"  stood for  "Majority."  It was a
policy-making  body  whose  membership consisted of 12 very high-ranking
government scientists, military officers and intelligence officials. These were
the men who  made the decisions governing the cover-up and the contacts.

 Doty  said  Howe  would be given thousands of feet  of  film  of crashed
discs,  bodies,  EBE-1  and  the  Holloman  landing  and meeting.  She could
use this material in her documentary to  tell the  story of how U.S. officials
learned that the earth is  being visited and what they have done about it. "We
want you to do  the film," Howe quotes him as saying.

 When Howe asked why she, not the New York Times, the  Washington Post  or  60
Minutes,  was  getting  this,  the  story  of   the millennium, Doty replied
bluntly that an individual media  person is  easier to manipulate and discredit
than a major  organization with  expensive attorneys. He said that another plan
 to  release the  information, through Emenegger and Sandler, had been  halted
because political conditions were not right.

 Over  the  next weeks Howe had a number of  phone  conversations with Doty,
mostly about technical problems related to  converting old film to videotape.
She spoke on several occasions with  three other men but did not meet them

 Doty  suggested that eventually she might be allowed to film  an interview
with EBE-3. But the current film project was to have  a historical  emphasis;
it would deal with events between 1949  and 1964. If at some point she did meet
EBE-3, however, there was  no way she could prepare herself for the "shock and
fear" of meeting an alien being.

 Howe,  of course, had informed her HBO contacts, Jean  Abounader and   her
superior  Bridgett  Potter,  of  these   extraordinary developments. Howe urged
them to prepare themselves, legally  and otherwise,  for  the repercussions
that would surely  follow  the release  of the film. The HBO people told her
she would have  to secure  a  letter  of  intent from the  U.S.  government
with  a legally-binding commitment to release the promised film  footage. When
Howe called Doty about it, he said, "I'll work on  it."  He said he would mail
the letter directly to HBO.

 Then  HBO  told her it would not authorize funds  for  the  film production
until all the evidence was in hand and, as Potter  put it,  Howe had the
"President, Secretary of Defense, Secretary  of State and Joint Chiefs of Staff
to back it up" (Howe, 1989).  But proceed  anyway, Howe was told. Now she was
furious at  both  HBO and Doty.

When  she called him at the base, he remarked that he  had  good news  and  bad
news. She and a small crew would soon be  able  to interview  the  retired
colonel (then a captain)  who  had  spent three  years with EBE-1. The bad news
was that it would be  three months  before  the thousands of feet of film of
EBE-1  and  the Holloman  landing/contact would be available.  Meanwhile,
before she  could  screen  the footage, Howe would have  to  sign  three
security  oaths  and undergo a background check. She  would  also have  to
supply photographs of all the technical  assistants  who would accompany her to
the interview.

 The  interview was repeatedly set up and canceled. Then in  June Doty called
to say he was officially out of the project. This was a blow because Doty was
the only one she could call. She did  not know  how to get in touch with the
others and always had to  wait for them to contact her.

 By  October  the  contacts had decreased.  The  same  month  her contract
with  HBO  expired. All she had was  the  name  of  the Washington  contact.
In March 1984 this  individual  called  her office  three  times, although she
was out of town working  on  a non-UFO story at the time. "Upon returning
home," she writes,  "I learned  the  man  was contacting me to explain  there
would  be further  delays  in  the film project  after  the  November  1984
election" (Howe, 1989).

 For  Howe  that was the end of the matter, except  for  a  brief sequel.  On
March 5, 1988, Doty wrote ufologist Larry W.  Bryant, who  had unsuccessfully
sought access to Doty's military  records through  the Freedom of Information
Act, and denied that  he  had ever  discussed  government UFO secrets or
promised  footage  of crashed  discs, bodies and live EBEs. Howe responded by
making  a sworn  statement  about the meeting an producing  copies  of  her
correspondence from the period with both Doty and HBO.

 In 1989 Moore said that "in early 1983 I became aware that  Rick [Doty] was
involved with a team of several others, including  one fellow  from  Denver
that I knew of and at  least  one  who  was working  out  of  Washington,
D.C.,  in  playing  an   elaborate disinformation scheme against a prominent
UfO researcher who,  at the  time,  had close connections with a  major
television  film company interested in doing a UFO documentary." He was
referring to  Howe, of course. The episode was a counterintelligence  sting
operation,  part  of  the "wall of  disinformation"  intended  to "confuse"
the Bennewitz issue and to "call his credibility  into question."  Because  of
Howe's  interest  in  Bennewitz's  work, according  to  Moore, "certain
elements within  the  intelligence community were concerned that the story of
his having intercepted low  frequency electromagnetic emissions from the
Coyote  Canyon area  of  the Kirtland/Sandia complex would end up as part  of
a feature film. Since this in turn might influence others (possibly even  the
Russians) to attempt similar experiments, someone in  a control  position
apparently felt it had to be stopped before  it got out of hand." In his
observation, Moore said, "the government seemed hell bent on severing the ties
that existed between [Howe] and [HBO]" (Moore, 1989b).

 Doty's assertion that Howe had misrepresented their meeting  was not  to  be
taken seriously, according to Moore, since  Doty  was bound by a security oath
and could not discuss the matter  freely Moore  said that the Aztec crash,
known beyond  reasonable  doubt never  to  have  occurred, was something Doty
had  added  to  the document after learning from Moore of his recent
investigation of the hoax.

 In December 1984, in the midst of continuing contact with  their own  sources
(Doty  and a number of others) who  claimed  to  be leaking  the  secret  of
the cover-up,  Moore's  associate  Jaime Shandera  received a roll of 35mm film
containing, it turned  out what  purported to be a briefing paper dated
November  18,  1952, and  intended  for  president-elect  Eisenhower.  The
purported author, Adm. Roscoe H. Hillenkoetter, reported that an "Operation
Majestic-12,"  consisting  of a dozen  top  scientists,  military officers  and
 intelligence  specialists,  had  been  set  up  by presidential  order on
September 24, 1947, to study  the  Roswell remains  and  the four humanoid
bodies that  had  been  recovered nearby. The document report that the team
directed by MJ12 member and  physiologist  Detlev Bronk "has suggested the
term  'Extra- terrestrial  Biological Entities', or 'EBEs', be adopted  as  the
standard term of reference for these creatures until such time as a more
definitive designation can be agreed upon." Brief  mention is also made of a
December 6, 1950, crash along the  Texas-Mexico border.   Nothing  is  said,
however,  about  live   aliens   or communications with them.

 In  July  1985  Moore and Shandera, acting on  tips  from  their sources,
traveled  to  Washington and spent  a  few  days  going through  recently
declassified documents in  Record  Group  341, including  Top  Secret  Air
Force intelligence  files  from  USAF Headquarters. In the 126th box whose
contents they examined, they found  a  brief  memo dated July 14, 1954,  from
Robert  Cutler, Special  Assistant to the President, to Gen. Nathan  Twining.
It says  "The  president  has decided that  the  MJ-12/SSP  [Special Studies
Project] briefing should take place during  the  already scheduled White House
meeting of July 16 rather than following it as  previously  intended.  More
precise  arrangements  will   be explained to you upon your arrival. Your
concurrence in the above change of arrangements is assumed" (Friedman, 1987).

 The   Cutler/Twining  memo,  as  it  would  be  called  in   the controversies
 that  erupted  after  Moore  released  the   MJ-12 document to the world in
the spring of 1987, is the only official document-not  to  be  confused with
such  disputed  ones  as  the November  17, 1980, Aquarius document-to mention
MJ-12.  (Several critics   of  the  MJ-12  affair  have  questioned   the
memo's authenticity  as well, but so far without  unambiguous  success.) The
memo does not, of course, say what the MJ12 Special  Studies Project was.

MJ-12  Goes  Public: Just prior to Moore's release of  the  MJ-12 briefing
paper,  another copy was leaked  to  British  ufologist Timothy Good, who took
his copy to the press. The first newspaper article  on it appeared in the
London Observer of May  31,  1987, and  soon  it was the subject of pieces in
the  New  York  Times, Washington  Post and ABC-TV's Nightline. It was  also
denounced, not  altogether persuasively, both by professional debunkers  and by
 many  ufologists. The dispute would rage  without  resolution well  into 1989,
when critics discovered that President  Truman's signature on the September 24,
1947, executive order (appended to the  briefing  paper)  was  exactly  like
his  signature  on  an undisputed, UFO-unrelated October 1, 1947, letter to his
 science adviser  (and  supposed  MJ-12  member)  Vannevar  Bush.  To  all
appearances  a  forger had appended a real signature  to  a  fake letter.   The
  MJ-12  document  began  to  look   like   another disinformation scheme.

 Although acutely aware of the mass of disinformation circulating throughout
the UFO community, Moore remained convinced  that  at least some of the
information his own sources were giving him was authentic. In 1988 he provided
two of his sources, "Falcon" (Sgt. Doty according to some) and "Condor" (later
claimed to be  former U.S. Air Force Capt. Robert Collins), to a television
production company.  (Moore  and  Shandera had given them  avian  names  and
called the sources collectively "the birds.") UFO Cover-up . .  . Live, a
two-hour program, aired in October 1988, with Falcon  and Condor,  their faces
shaded, their voices altered,  relating  the same  tales with which they had
regaled Moore and  Shandera.  The show,  almost universally judged a laughable
embarrassment,  was most  remembered for the informants' statements that  the
aliens favored  ancient Tibetan music and strawberry ice cream.  Critics found
the latter allegation especially hilarious.

Lear's  Conspiracy Theory: Events on the UFO scene were taking  a yet  more
bizarre turn that same year as even wilder tales  began to circulate. The first
to tell them was John Lear, a pilot  with a background in the CIA and the
estranged son of aviation  legend William  P. Lear. Lear had surfaced two or
three  years  earlier, but  aside  from  his  famous  father  there  seemed
little   to distinguish  him  from  any of hundreds of other  UFO  buffs  who
subscribe  to  the  field's  publications  and  show  up  at  its conferences.
But then he started claiming that  unnamed  sources had  told  him of
extraordinary events which made those  told  by Doty   and  the  birds  sound
like  bland  and   inconsequential anecdotes.

 According  to Lear, not just a few but dozens of flying  saucers had  crashed
over the years. In 1962 the U.S. government  started Project  Redlight to find
a way to fly the recovered craft,  some relatively  intact. A similar project
exists even now and is  run out  of  supersecret  military  installation;  one
is  Area   51 (specifically  at a facility called S4) at the Nevada  Test  Site
and  the  other is set up near Dulce, New  Mexico.  These  areas,
unfortunately,  may  no  longer  be  under  the  control  of  the government
or  even  of the human race. In  the  late  1960s  an official agency so secret
that not even the President may know of it  had  made  an  agreement with the
aliens.  In  exchange  for extraterrestrial  technology the secret government
would  permit (or  at least not interfere with) a limited number of  abductions
of  human beings; the aliens, however, were to provide a list  of those they
planned to kidnap.

 All  went  relatively  well for a few years. Then  in  1973  the government
discovered that thousands of persons who were not  on the alien's list were
being abducted. The resulting tensions  led to  an  altercation  in 1978 or
1979. The aliens  held  and  then killed  44  top  scientists as well as a
number  of  Delta  force troops  who had tried to free them. Ever since,
frantic  efforts, of  which the Strategic Defense Initiative ("Star Wars")  is
the most  visible manifestation, have been made to develop a  defense against
the extraterrestrials, who are busy putting implants into abductees  (as  many
as one in 10 Americans)  to  control  their behavior.  At some time in the near
future these people  will  be used  for some unknown, apparently sinister,
alien purpose.  Even worse  than  all this, though, is the aliens' interest  in
 Human flesh. Sex and other organs are taken from both human beings  and cattle
 and  used  to create androids in giant  vats  located  in underground
laboratories   at   Area   51   and   Dulce.    The extraterrestrials,  from
an  ancient race near the  end  of  its evolution,  also use materials from
human body parts as a  method of biological rejuvenation. ("In order to sustain
themselves," he said, "they use an enzyme or hormonal secretion obtained from
the tissue that they extract from humans and animals. The  secretions are then
mixed with hydrogen peroxide and applied on the skin  by spreading  or dipping
parts of their bodies in the solution.  The body  absorbs the solution, then
excretes the waste back  through the skin" [Berk and Renzi, 1988].)

 One  of Lear's major sources was Bennewitz, who had first  heard these scary
stories from AFOSI personnel at Kirtland in the early 1980s. By this time
Bennewitz had become something of a guru to a small  group  of  UFO
enthusiasts, Linda  Howe  among  them,  who believed  extraterrestrials  were
mutilating cattle  and  had  no trouble  believing they might do the same thing
to  people.  Also Lear,  whose political views are far to the right of center,
was linking  his  UFO  beliefs  with  conspiracy  theories  about   a
malevolent secret American government which was attempting to use the  aliens
for its own purposes, including enslavement  of  the world's  people  through
drug addiction. A considerable  body  of rightwing conspiracy literature, some
with barely-concealed anti- Semitic  overtones, was making similar charges.
Lear himself  was not anti-Semitic, but he did share conspiracy beliefs with
those who were.

 Another  of  his claimed sources was an unnamed  physicist  who, Lear
claimed, had actually worked at S4. To the many  ufologists who  rejected
Lear's stories as paranoid, lunatic  or  fabricated (though  not by the
patently-sincere Lear), there was  widespread skepticism  about this
physicist's existence. It turned out  that he did indeed exist. His name is
Robert Lazar, who, according  to a  story  broken  by reporter George Knapp  on
 KLAS-TV,  the  ABC affiliate  in Las Vegas, on November 11 and 13, 1989,
claims  to have worked on alien technology projects at Area 51. Lazar, whose
story  is  being investigated by both ufologists  and  mainstream journalists,
has  not endorsed Lear's claims  about  human-alien treaties,  man-eating  ETs
or any of the rest and  has  distanced himself from Lear and his associates.
His claims, while fantastic by most standards, are modest next to Lears.

Cooper's Conspiracy Theory: Soon Lear was joined by someone  with an  even
bigger  supply of fabulous yarns:  one  Milton  William Cooper. Cooper surfaced
on December 18, 1988, when his account of the  fantastic  secrets he learned
while a  Naval  petty  officer appeared  on a computer network subscribed to by
 ufologists  and others interested in anomalous phenomena. Cooper said that
while working  as  a quartermaster with an intelligence team  for  Adm.

Bernard  Clarey, Commander in Chief of the Pacific Meet,  in  the early  1970s
he saw two documents, Project Grudge Special  Report 13 and a Majority
briefing. (In conventional UFO history,  Grudge was  the  second public Air
Force UFO  project,  superseding  the original Sign, in early 1949 and lasting
until late 1951, when it was  renamed  Blue Book. Whereas Sign investigators at
 one  time concluded UFOs were of extraterrestrial origin--a conclusion  the
Air  force  leadership found unacceptable--Grudge,  as  its  name suggests
coincidentally or otherwise, was known for its hostility to the idea of UFOs
and for its eagerness to assign  conventional explanations,  warranted  or
otherwise, to the  sighting  reports that came its way.) Cooper's account of
what was in these reports is  much  like  the by-now familiar  story  of
crashes,  bodies, contacts and projects, with some elaborations. Moreover, he
said the  aliens  were called "ALFs" (which as any  television  viewer knows,
stands for Alien Life forms) and the "M" in MJ-12 is  for Majority not
Majestic. Later he would say he had seen photographs of aliens, including a
type he called the "big-nosed  grays"-like those  that  supposedly landed at
Holloman in 1964 or  1971.  The U.S.  government  was in contact with them  and
 alien-technology projects were going on at Area 51.

 If  this sounded like a rehash of Moore and Lear, that was  only because
Cooper  had yet to pull out all the stops.  On  May  23, 1989,  Cooper
produced  a 25-page  document  titled  The  Secret Government:  The  Origin,
Identity  And  Purpose  of  MJ-12.  He presented  it  as a lecture in Las Vegas
a few  weeks  later.  In Cooper's version of the evolving legend, the "secret
government," an  unscrupulous  group  of covert  CIA  and  other  intelligence
operatives who keep many of their activities sealed from even the President's
knowledge, runs the country. One of its  first  acts was  to murder one-time
Secretary of Defense (and  alleged  early MJ-12  member)  James Forrestal the
death was made to  look  like suicide-because  he  threatened  to  expose  the
UFO   cover-up. Nonetheless,  President  Truman, fearing an invasion  from
outer space, kept other nations, including the Soviet Union, abreast of
developments. But keeping all this secret was a real problem,  so an
international  secret  society known  as  the  Bilderbergers, headquartered in
Geneva, Switzerland, was formed. Soon it  became a  secret world government and
"now controls everything,"  Cooper said.

 All the while flying saucers were dropping like flies out of the heavens.  In
1953  there were 10 crashes in  the  United  States alone.  Also  that  year,
astronomers  observed  huge  spaceships heading  toward the earth and in time
entering into orbit  around the   equator.   Project   Plato  was   established
  to   effect communication with these new aliens. One of the ships landed  and
a  face-to-face  meeting  took place, and  plans  for  diplomatic relations
were  laid. Meanwhile a race of  human-looking  aliens warned  the U.S.
government that the new visitors were not to  be trusted  and  that  if  the
government got  rid  of  its  nuclear weapons,  the  human  aliens  would  help
 us  in  our  spiritual development,  which  would  keep  us  from  destroying
ourselves through wars and environmental pollution. The government rejected
these overtures.

 The big-nosed grays, the ones who had been orbiting the equator, landed
again, this time at Holloman AFB, in 1954 and reached  an agreement with the
U.S. government. These beings stated that they were from a dying planet that
orbits Betelguese. At some point in the  not too distant future, they said,
they would have to  leave there  for good. A second meeting took place not long
 afterwards at Edwards AFB in California. This time President Eisenhower  was
there  to  sign  a  formal treaty and to  meet  the  first  alien ambassador,
"His Omnipotent Highness Krlll,"  pronounced  Krill. He, in common with his
fellow space travelers, wore a  trilateral insignia  on  his  uniform;  the
same  design  appears  on   all Betelguese spacecraft.

 According  to  Cooper's account, the  treaty's  provisions  were these:
Neither side would interfere in the affairs of the  other. The aliens would
abduct humans from time to time and would return them  unharmed, with no memory
of the event. It would  provide  a list of names of those it was going to take.
The U.S.  government would  keep  the aliens' presence a secret and it  would
receive advanced  technology from them. The two sides would  exchange  16
individuals  each for the purpose of learning from  and  teaching each  other.
The aliens would stay on earth and the humans  would go  to the other planet,
then return after a specified period  of time.  The two sides would jointly
occupy huge underground  bases which would be constructed at hidden locations
in the Southwest.

 (It  should be noted that the people listed as members of  MJ-12 are  largely
from  the  Council on  Foreign  Relations  and  the Trilateral Commission.
These organizations play a prominent  role in conspiracy theories of the far
right. In a book on the subject George  Johnson  writes, "After the Holocaust
of  World  War  II, anti-Semitic conspiracy theories became repugnant to all
but  the fringe of the American right. Populist fears of the power of  the rich
 became  focused  instead  on  organizations  that   promote international
capitalism, such as the Trilateral Commission,  the Council  on Foreign
Relations, and the Bilderbergers, a group  of world  leaders  and
businesspeople who held one  of  their  early conferences on international
relations at the Bilderberg Hotel in the  Netherlands"  [Johnson,  1983].
According  to  Cooper,  the trilateral emblem is taken directly from the alien
flag. He  adds that  under Presidents Nixon, Ford and Carter MJ-12 became
known as  the  50  Committee. Under Reagan it  was  renamed  the  PI-40

 By 1955, during the Eisenhower years, Cooper charged,  officials learned for
certain what they had already begun to suspect a year earlier: that the aliens
had broken the treaty before the ink  on it  had time to dry. They were killing
and mutilating both  human beings  and  animals,  failing  to  supply  a
complete  list  of abductees, and not returning some of those they had taken.
On top of  that,  they were conspiring with  the  Soviets,  manipulating
society  through  occultism,  witchcraft,  religion  and   secret
organizations.  Eisenhower prepared a secret executive memo,  NSC 5411,
ordering  a  study group of 35  top  members  (the  "Jason Society")
associated  with the Council on Foreign  Relations  to "examine  aIl  the
facts,  evidence,  lies,  and  deception  and discover the truth of the alien
question" (Cooper, 1989). Because the  resulting meetings were held at Quantico
Marine  Base,  they were  called the Quantico meetings. Those participating
included Edward  Teller, Zbigniew Brzezinski, Henry Kissinger  and  Nelson

 The  group  decided  that  the  danger  to  established  social, economic,
religious and political institutions was so grave  that no one must know about
the aliens, not even Congress. That  meant that  alternative sources of funding
would have to be  found.  It also concluded that the aliens were using human
organs and tissue to replenish their deteriorating genetic structure.

 Further, according to Cooper, overtures were made to the  Soviet Union and
other nations so that all the earth could join together to  deal with the alien
menace. Research into  sophisticated  new weapons  systems commenced.
Intelligence sources  penetrated  the Vatican  hoping to learn the Fatima
prophecy which had been  kept secret  ever  since  1917.  It was  suspected
that  the  Fatima, Portugal,  "miracle" was an episode of alien manipulation.
As  it turned out, the prophecy stated that in 1992 a child would  unite the
world under the banner of a false religion. By  1995  people would  figure  out
that he was the Anti-Christ.  That  same  year World  War  III  would begin
when an  alliance  of  Arab  nations invaded Israel. This would lead to nuclear
war in 1999. The  next four  years would see horrible death and suffering all
over  the planet. Christ would return in 2011.

 When confronted about this, claimed Cooper, the aliens  candidly acknowledged
it was true. They knew it because they had  traveled into  the future via time
machine and observed it with their  own eyes.   They   added  that  they
created  us   through   genetic manipulation. Later the Americans and the
Soviets also  developed time travel and confirmed the Fatima/ET vision of the

 In  1957 the Jason group met again, by order of  Eisenhower,  to decide  what
to do. It came up with three alternatives:  (l)  Use nuclear bombs to blow
holes in the stratosphere so that pollution could  escape  into space. (2)
Build a huge  network  of  tunnels under the earth and save enough human beings
of varying cultures, occupations and talents so that the race could reemerge
after the nuclear  and environmental catastrophes to come. Everybody  else-
i.e.,  the  rest  of  humanity--would  be  left  on  the  surface presumably to
die. (3) Employ alien and terrestrial technology to leave  earth  and colonize
the moon (code name "Adam")  and  Mars ("Eve").  The  first alternative was
deemed impractical,  so  the Americans  and  the  Soviets started working on
the  other  two. Meanwhile  they  decided  that the population would  have  to
be controlled,  which  could be done most easily by killing  off  as many
"undesirables"  as  possible. Thus AIDS  and  other  deadly diseases  were
introduced into the population. Another  idea  to raise needed funds was
quickly acted on: sell drugs on a  massive scale.  An  ambitious  young member
of  the  Council  on  Foreign Relations,  a Texas oil-company president named
George Bush,  was put in charge of the project, with the aid of the CIA. "The
plan worked better than anyone had thought " CooPer said. "The CIA now controls
 all  the worlds [sic] illegal  drug  markets"  (Cooper, 1989).

 Unknown to just about everybody, a secret  American/Soviet/alien space  base
existed on the dark side of the moon. By  the  early 1960s  human colonies were
thriving on the surface of  Mars.  All the  while the naive people of the earth
were led to believe  the Soviets  and the Americans were something other than
the  closest allies. But Cooper's story got even more bizarre and byzantine.

 He  claimed that in 1963, when President Kennedy found out  some of  what was
going on, he gave an ultimatum to MJ-12: get out  of the  drug business. He
also declared that in 1964 he  would  tell the  American people about the alien
visitation. Agents of  MJ-12 ordered  his assassination. Kennedy was murdered
in full view  of many  hundreds of onlookers, none of whom apparently noticed,
by the  Secret  Service  agent driving the President's  car  in  the motorcade.

 In   1969,  reported  Cooper,  a  confrontation  between   human scientists
and  aliens at the Dulce laboratory resulted  in  the former's being taken
hostage by the latter. Soldiers who tried to free the scientists were killed,
unable to overcome the  superior alien  weapons.  The  incident  led  to  a
two-year  rupture  in relations. The alliance was resumed in 1971 and continues
to this day,  even as a vast invisible financial empire run by  the  CIA, the
NSA and the Council on Foreign Relations runs drugs, launders money and
encourages massive street crime so that Americans  will be  susceptible to
gun-control legislation. The CIA has  gone  so far  as to employ drugs and
hypnosis to  cause  mentally-unstable individuals  to  commit mass murder of
schoolchildren  and  other innocents, the point being to encourage anti-gun
hysteria. All of this  is  part of the plot, aided and abetted by the  mass
media (also  under  the  secret  government's  control),  to  so  scare
Americans  that they will soon accept the declaration of  martial law  when
that  happens, people will be rounded up  and  put  in concentration  camps
already in place. From there they  will  be flown  to the moon and Mars to work
as slave labor in  the  space colonies.

 The conspirators already run the world. As Cooper put it,  "Even a cursory
investigation by the most inexperienced researcher will show that the members
of the Council on Foreign Relations and the Trilateral  commission control the
major foundations, all of  the major media and publishing interests, the
largest banks, all  the major  corporations, the - upper echelons of the
government,  and many other vital interests."

Reaction  to  Lear  and  Cooper:  Whereas  Lear  had  felt   some obligation
to  name  a  source or two, or  at  least  to  mutter something  about
"unnamed sources," Cooper told  his  lurid  and outlandish tale as if it were
so self-evidently true that sources or  supporting  data  were irrelevant. And
to  the  enthusiastic audiences   flocking  to  Cooper's  lectures,  no
evidence   was necessary.  By  the  fall  of the year  Cooper  was  telling
his stories--whose  sources  were, in fact,  flying-saucer  folklore, AFOSI
disinformation  unleashed during  the  Bennewitz  episode, conspiracy
literature, and outright fiction--to large crowds  of Californians  willing to
pay $l0 or $15 apiece for the thrill  of being scared silly.

 Lear  and Cooper soon were joined by two other tellers of  tales of  UFO
horrors and Trilateral conspiracies, William English  and John Grace (who goes
under the pseudonym "Val Valarian" and heads the Nevada Aerial Research Group
in Las Vegas).

 Few  if any mainstream ufologists took these  stories  seriously and at first
treated them as something of a bad joke. But when it became  clear  that  Lear,
Cooper  and  company  were  commanding significant  media  attention and
finding a following  among  the larger  public interested in ufology's fringes,
where  a  claim's inherent  improbability  had never been seen as  an  obstacle
 to believe  in it, the leaders of the UFO community grew  ever  more alarmed.

 One leader who was not immediately alarmed was Walter H. Andrus, Jr.,
director of the Mutual UFO Network (MUFON), one of the  two largest  UFO
organizations in the United States (the other  being the  J.  Allen Hynek
Center for UFO Studies  [CUFOS]).  In  1987, before Lear had proposed what some
wags would call the Dark  Side Hypothesis,  he had offered to host the 1989
MUFON conference  in Las  Vegas.  Andrus  agreed. But as Lear's  true  beliefs
became known,  leading  figures  within MUFON  expressed  concern  about Lear's
 role  in the conference. When Andrus  failed  to  respond quickly, MUFON
officials were infuriated.

 Facing  a  possible  palace revolt, Andrus  informed  Lear  that Cooper, whom
Lear had invited to speak at the conference, was not an  acceptable choice. But
to the critics on the MUFON board  and elsewhere  in  the organization, this
was hardly enough.  One  of them,  longtime  ufologist  Richard Hall,  said
this  was  "like putting  a  Band-Aid on a hemorrhage" (Hall, 1989). In  a
heated telephone exchange Andrus called Hall's objections to Lear  "just one
man's opinion" and claimed support, which turned out not  to exist,  from other
MUFON notables. In a  widely-distributed  open letter to Andrus, Hall wrote,
"Having Lear run the symposium  and be  a  major speaker at it is comparable to
NICAP in  the  1960's having  George  Adamski  run a NICAP conference!  "
(NICAP,  the National  Investigations Committee on Aerial Phenomena, of  which
Hall  was executive secretary in the late 1950s and much  of  the 1960s,   was
a  conservative  UFO-research  organization   which attacked  as  fraudulent
the claims of Adamski, who  wrote  books about his meetings with Venusians and
distributed photographs  of what  he said were their spaceships.) Hall went on,
"You seem  to be going for the colorful and the spectacular rather than for the
critical-minded approach of science; you even expressed the view- in
effect-that having a panel to question Lear critically  would be good show biz
and the 'highlight' of the symposium. Maybe  so, but it obviously would
dominate the entire program, grab off  all major  news  media attention, and
put UFO research in  the  worst possible  light." Hall declared, "I am hereby
resigning from  the MUFON Board and I request that my name be removed from all
MUFON publications or papers that indicate me to be a Board Member."

 Fearing more resignations, Andrus moved to make Lear barely more than a guest
at his own conference. He was not to lecture  there, as  previously planned,
and hosting duties would be handled,  for the most part, by others. Lear ended
up arranging an "alternative conference" at which he, Cooper, English and Don
Ecker  presented the latest elaborations on the Dark Side Hypothesis.
 Meanwhile  another  storm  was brewing. On  March  1,  1989,  an Albuquerque
ufologist,  Robert  Hastings,  issued   a   13-page statement, with 37 pages of
appended documents, and mailed it  to many  of  ufology's most prominent
individuals.  Hastings  opened with these remarks:

 "First,  it  has  been established that  'Falcon,'  one  of  the principle
[sic]  sources of the MJ-12 material,  is  Richard  C. Doty,  formerly
attached  to District 17  Air  Force  Office  of Special  Investigations
(AFOSI)  at  Kirtland  Air  Force  Base, Albuquerque,  New  Mexico. Sgt. Doty
retired from  the  U.S.  Air Force on October 1, 1988.

 "How do I know that Doty is 'Falcon?' During a recent  telephone conversation,
 Linda  Moulton Howe told me that  when  Sgt.  Doty invited  her to his office
at Kirtland AFB in early  April  1983, and  showed her a purportedly authentic
U.S. government  document on  UFOs, he identified himself as code-name 'Falcon'
and  stated that it was Bill Moore who had given him that name.

 "Also,  in  early  December  1988,  a  ranking  member  of   the production
team  responsible  for  the  'UFO  Cover   Up?-Live' television documentary
confirmed that Doty is 'Falcon.' This same individual  also identified the
second MJ-12 source who  appeared on  the  program,  'Condor'  as Robert
Collins  who  was,  until recently,  a  Captain in the U.S. Air Force. Like
Doty,  he  was stationed  at  KAFB  when he left the service  late  last
year." (Collins,  a scientist, was assigned to the plasma physics  group at
Sandia National Laboratories on the Kirtland Air Force  Base. Following his
retirement he moved to Indiana and remains actively interested in UFOs.)

 Hastings   reviewed  evidence  of  Doty's  involvement  in   the concoction
of  various  questionable  documents  and   stories, including  the  Ellsworth
tale and the Weitzel  affair.  He  also noted important discrepancies between
the paper Howe saw and  the MJ-12  briefing document. For example, while the
first  mentioned the alleged Aztec crash, the second said nothing about it at
all. Hastings wondered, "[I]f the briefing paper that Sgt. Doty showed to Linda
Howe was genuine, what does that say about the  accuracy (and  authenticity) of
the Eisenhower document? If, on the  other hand, the former was bogus and was
meant to mislead Howe for some reason,  what  does  that  say  about  Richard
'Falcon'   Doty's reliability  as  a  source  for  MJ-12  material  as  a
whole?" (Hastings,  1989). Hastings also had much critical to  say  about
Moore, especially about an incident in which Moore had flashed  a badge in
front of ufologist/cover-up investigator Lee Graham  and indicated  he  was
working with the government on  a  project  to release  UFO  information.
(Moore would characterize  this  as  a misguided practical joke.)

 Both  Moore  and Doty denied that the latter  was  Falcon.  They claimed  Doty
had been given that pseudonym long after  the  1983 meeting with Howe. Howe,
however, stuck by her account. Moore and Doty said the real Falcon, an older
man than Doty had been in the studio audience as the video of his interview was
being broadcast on  UFO  Cover-up.  .  . Live. Doty himself  was  in  New
Mexico training with the state police.

Moore's  Confession:  By  mid-1989  the  two  most  controversial figures in
ufology were Moore and Lear. Moore's MUFON lecture  on July 1 did nothing to
quiet his legion of critics. On his arrival in  Las Vegas, Moore checked into a
different hotel from the  one at which the conference was being held. He
already had refused to submit his paper for publication in the symposium
proceedings, so no  one  knew what he would say. He had also stipulated  that
he would accept no questions from the floor.

 Moore's speech stunned and angered much of the audience. At  one point   the
shouts  and  jeers  of  Lear's   partisans   brought proceedings  to a halt
until order was restored.  Moore  finished and exited immediately. He left Las
Vegas not long afterwards.

 In his lecture Moore spoke candidly, for the first time, of  his part in the
counterintelligence operation against Bennewitz.  "My role  in the affair," he
said, "was largely that of a  freelancer providing information on Paul's
current thinking and activities." Doty,  "faithfully carrying out orders which
he personally  found distasteful," was one of those involved in the effort to
confuse and  discredit Bennewitz. Because of his success at this  effort, Moore
suggested, Doty was chosen by the real "Falcon" as "liaison person,  although I
really don't know. Frankly, I  don't  believe that  Doty does either. In my
opinion he was simply a pawn  in  a much larger game, just as I was."

 From  disinformation  passed on by AFOSI sources,  and  his  own observations
and  guesses,  according to  Moore,  "by  mid-1982" Bennewitz had put together
a story that "contained virtually  all of  the  elements  found  in the current
 crop  of  rumors  being circulated around the UFO community." Moore was
referring to  the outlandish  tales Lear and Cooper were telling. Moore  said
that "when  I first ran into the disinformation operation . . .  being run on
Bennewitz . . . [i)t seemed to me . . . I was in a  rather unique position.
There I was with my foot . . . in the door of  a secret  counterintelligence
game that gave every  appearance  of being  somehow directly connected to a
high-level government  UFO project, and, judging by the positions of the people
I knew to be directly  involved with it, definitely had something to  do  with
national  security!  There was no way I was going  to  allow  the opportunity
to  pass me by without learning at  least  something about  what was going on.
. . . I would play  the  disinformation game,  get  my  hands  dirty just
often  enough  to  lead  those directing  the  process into believing that I
was  doing  exactly what  they wanted me to do, and all the while continue to
burrow my  way into the matrix so as to learn as much as possible  about who
was directing it and why." Some of the same people who  were passing alleged
UFO secrets on to Moore were also involved in the operation against Bennewitz.
Moore knew that some of the material he  was  getting--essentially  a mild
version  of  the  Bennewitz scenario, without the horror, paranoia and
conspiracy--was false, but  he (along with Jaime Shandera and Stanton Friedman,
to  whom he  confided the cover-up story in June 1982; Friedman,  however,
would  not learn of Moore's role in the Bennewitz  episode  until seven years
later) felt that some of it was probably true,  since an  invariable
characteristic  of  disinformation  is  that   it contains some facts. Moore
also said that Linda Howe had been the victim of one of Doty's disinformation

 Before  he stopped cooperating with such schemes in 1984,  Moore said,  he had
given "routine information" to AFOSI about  certain other  individuals in the
UFO community. Subsequently he  claimed that  during this period this emphasis)
"three other  members  of the  UFO  community . . . were actively doing the
same  thing.  I have  since  learned of a fourth. . . . All  four  are
prominent individuals   whose   identities,  if  disclosed,   would   cause
considerable  controversy in the UFO community and bring  serious embarrassment
 to two of its major organizations. To the best  of my  knowledge,  at least
two of these people are  still  actively involved" (Moore, 1989b).

 Although  he would not reveal the identities of  the  government informants
within  ufology,  Moore gave  the  names  of  several persons "who were the
subject of intelligence community  interest between 1980 and 1984." They were:

 (1)  Len  Stringfield,  a ufologist known for  his  interest  in crashed-disc
 stories;  in  1980  he  had  been  set  up  by   a counterintelligence
operative who gave him phony pictures of what purported to be humanoids in cold

 (2) The late Pete Mazzola, whose knowledge of film footage  from a
never-publicized  Florida UFO case was of  great  interest  to
counterintelligence types. Moore was directed to urge Mazzola  to send the
footage to ufologist Kal Korff (who knew nothing of  the scheme) for analysis;
then Moore would make a copy and pass it on to  Doty. But Mazzola never got the
film, despite  promises,  and the  incident came to nothing. "I was left with
the  impression," Moore  wrote,  "that  the  file  had  been  intercepted  and
the witnesses somehow persuaded to cease communication with Mazzola."

 (3)  Peter  Gersten,  legal counsel  for  Citizens  Against  UFO Secrecy
(CAUS),  who had spearheaded  a  (largely  unsuccessful) legal suit against the
NSA seeking UFO information.

 (4) Larry Fawcett, an official of CAUS and coauthor of a book on the cover-up,
Clear Intent (1984).

 (5)  James  and  Coral Lorenzen, the  directors  of  the  Aerial Phenomena
Research Organization (APRO) periodically "subjects  of on-again,  off  again
interest . . .  mostly  passive  monitoring rather  than active meddling,"
according to Moore.  Between  1980 and  1982 APRO employed a "cooperative"
secretary who  passed  on confidential material to counterintelligence

 (6)  Larry  W. Bryant, who was battling without success  in  the courts  to
have UFO secrets revealed. Moore said, "His name  came up often in discussions
but I never had any direct involvement in whatever activities revolved around

 These revelations sent shock waves through the UFO community. In September
CAUS devoted virtually all of an issue of its  magazine Just  Cause to a
harshly critical review of  Moore's  activities. Barry  Greenwood  declared
that the "outrageousness"  of  Moore's conduct "cannot be described. Moore, one
of the major critics  of government  secrecy on UFOs, had covertly informed on
people  who thought he was their friend and colleague. Knowing full well that
the  government  people  with whom he  was  dealing  were  active
disinformants,  Moore  pursued  a  relationship  with  them   and observed  the
 deterioration of Paul Bennewitz'[s]  physical  and mental  health.  . . .
Moore reported the effects  of  the  false information  regularly to some of
the very same people  who  were 'doing  it'  to Paul. And Moore boasted in his
speech as  to  how effective it was" (Greenwood, 1989). Greenwood complained
further about  Moore's  admission that on the disastrous Cover-up .  .  . Live
show Falcon and Condor had said things that they knew  were untrue.  "In  the
rare situation where two hours  of  prime  time television  are given over to a
favorable presentation  of  UFOs, here we have a fair portion of the last hour
wasted in presenting what  Moore admits to be false data. . . . Yet he saw fit
to  go ahead and carry on a charade, making UFO research look ridiculous in
the process. Remarks by Falcon and Condor about  the  aliens' lifestyle  and
preference for Tibetan music and  strawberry  ice cream were laughable." So far
as Greenwood and CAUS, skeptical of the MJ-12 briefing document from the first,
were concerned, "July 1, 1989, may well be remembered in the history of UFO
research as the day when the 'Majestic 12' story came crashing to Earth in  a
heap of rubble. Cause of death: Suicide!"

 Nonetheless  it  seemed  unlikely that MJ-12,  EBEs,  and  other cover-up
matters would pass away soon. The Dark Siders  appeared well  on their way to
starting a new occult movement  in  America and   elsewhere.   Among  movie
conservative   ufologists   many legitimate  questions about conceivably more
substantive  matters remained  to  be  answered.  A  reinvestigation  of  the
Roswell incident  by  Don Schmitt and Kevin D. Randle of  CUFOS  produced what
appeared to be solid new evidence of a UFO crash and  cover up.  The  emergence
 of  Robert  Lazar,  who  even  a  mainstream journalist such as television
reporter George Knapp concluded  is telling  the truth as he knows it possibly
suggested a degree  of substance  to recurrent rumors about developments in
Area 51  and S4.  Even  Moore's  critics were  puzzled  by  the  extraordinary
interest  of  intelligence operatives in ufologists and  the  UFO phenomenon,
going   back  in  time  long   before   Bennewitz's interception  of
low-frequency signals at Kirtland and  ahead  to the present. Why go to all
this trouble and expense, with so many persons  over  such a period of time, if
there are  no  real  UFO secrets to protect?

 Moore  says  he is still working with the "birds,"  who  are  as active as
ever. The birds tell him, he says, that  disinformation is  used  not  only
against ufologists  but  even  against  those insiders like themselves who are
privy to the cover-up. Those  in charge are "going to great lengths to mislead
their own  people." At  one point the birds were told that there is no
substance  to abduction reports, only to learn later, by accident, that a major
high-level study had been done. "Even people with a need to  know didn't know
about it," he says. "The abduction mess caused a  lot of  trouble.  There may
have been an official  admission  of  the cover-up by now if the abductions had
not come into prominence in the 1980s."

 As  for  the  stories  of  ongoing  contact  between  the   U.S. government
and  extraterrestrial biological  entities,  he  says there is, in his
observation, a "pretty good possibility,  better than three to one," that such
a thing is happening. "But I  don't think  we  can communicate with them.
Perhaps we  only  intercept their communications. Or maybe they communicate
with us."

 He  thinks  he  has found MJ-12. "It's not in  a  place  anybody looked,"  he
says. "Not an agency one would have  expected.  But when you think about it, it
fits there" (Moore, 1990).

 Doty, now a New Mexico State Police officer, was decertified  as an  AFOSI
agent on July 15, 1986, for "misconduct" related to  an incident  (not
concerned with UFOs) that occurred while  he  was stationed  in West Germany.
In August Doty requested a  discharge from  the  Air Force and was sent to New
Jersey to  be  separated from  the  service.  But then, Doty  says,  the
Senior  Enlisted Advisor for AFOSI made a trip to the Military Personnel Center
at Randolph  AFB,  Texas,  and  asked that  Doty  be  reassigned  to Kirtland,
where  his son lived. In September Col.  Richard  Law, Commander of AFOSI
District 70, rescinded Doty's  decertification and  assigned  him to Kirtland
as a  services  career  specialist (i.e.,  an  Air Force recruiter). When he
left the Air  Force  in October  1988,  he  was  superintendent  of  the  1606
 Services Squadron.  Doty remains close to Moore and  uncommunicative  with
nearly everyone else. All he will say is that one day a book will tell  his
side  of  the story and  back  it  up  with  "Official Government Documents"
(Doty, 1989).


 Berk, Lynn, and David Renzi. "Former CIA

Pilot,  Others Say Aliens Are Among Us." Las Vegas Sun  (May  22, 1988).

 Cannon,  Martin. "Earth Versus the Flying Saucers:  THe  Amazing Story of John
Lear." UFO Universe 9 (MarcH 1990): 8-12.

 Clark, Jerome. "Editorial: Flying Saucer Fascism." International UFO Reporter
14, 4 (July/August 1989): 3, 22-23.

 Cooper,  Milton  William.  The Secret  Government:  The  Origin, Identity,
and Purpose of MJ-12. Fullerton, CA: The  Author,  May 23, 1989.

 Doty, RicHard. Letter to Philip J. Klass (May 24, 1989).

 Emenegger,  Robert.  UFO's Past, Present and Future.  New  York: Ballantine
Books, 1974.

 Friedman, Stanton T. "MJ-12: THe Evidence So Far." International UFO Reporter
12, 5 (September/October 1987): 13-20.

 Govt.  -Alien Liaison? Top-Secret Documents. New Brunswick,  NJ: UFO
Investigators League, D.d.

 Greenwood,   Barry.  "A  Majestic  Deception."  Just  Cause   20 (September
1989): 1-14.

 Greenwood,  Barry.  "Notes on Peter Gersten's  Meeting  witH  SA RicHard Doty,
1/83." Just Cause 16 (June 1988): 7.

 Hall,  RicHard  H. Letter to Walter H. Andrus,  Jr.  (MarcH  18, 1989).

 Hastings, Robert. The MJ-12 Affair: Facts, Questions,  Comments. Albuquerque:
THe Author, March 1, 1989.

 Howe, Linda Moulton. An Alien Harvest: Further Evidence  Linking Animal
Mutilations  and Human Abductions to  Alien  Life  Forms. Littleton, CO: Linda
Moulton Howe Productions, 1989.

 Information  Originally Intended for Those in  the  Intelligence Community
Who Have a "Need to Know" Clearance  Status.  Canadian U.F.O. Research Network:
Toronto, n.d.

 Johnson,  George.  Architects of Fear: Conspiracy  Theories  and Paranoia  in
American Politics. Los Angeles: Jeremy  P.  Tarcher, Inc., 1983.

 Maccabee,  Bruce,  ed.  Documents  and  Supporting   Information Related to
Crashed Flying Saucers and Operation Majestic  Twelve. Mount Rainer, MD: Fund
for UFO Research, 1987.

 Moore,  William  L.  "Crashed Saucers:  Evidence  in  Search  of Proof." In
Walter H. Andrus, Jr., and Richard H. Hall, eds. MUFON 1985  UFO Symposium
Proceedings, 130-79. Seguin, TX:  Mutual  UfO Network, Inc., 1985. Rept.:
Burbank: The Author, 1985.

 Moore, William L. Interview with Jerome Clark (January 5, 1990).

 Moore,   William  L.  The  Roswell  Investigation:  Update   and Conclusions
1981. Prescott, AZ: The Author, 1981. Rev. ed.:  The Roswell  Investigation:
New Evidence in the Search for a  crashed UFO. Prescott, AZ: The Author, 1982.

 Moore,  William L. "UfOs and the U S Government, Part 1."  Focus 4, 4-5-6
(June 30
 1989a): 1-18. '

 Moore, William L. "UfOs and the U S Government, part 11."  Focus 4, 7-8-9
(September 30, 1989b): 1-3.

 Pratt,  Bob. "The Truth About the 'Ellsworth Case.'"  MUFON  UFO Journal 191
(January 1984) 6-9. '

 Scully, Frank. Behind the Flying Saucers. New York: Henry  Holt, 1950,

 Scully,  Frank.  "What I've Learned Since  Writing  'Behind  the Flying
Saucers.'" Pageant 6 (February 1951): 76-81.

 Steinman,  William  S., with Wendelle C. Stevens. UFO  Crash  at Aztec: A Well
Kept Secret. Tucson, AZ: UFO Photo Archives, 1986.

 Stringfield, Leonard H. "Status Report on Alleged Alien  Cadaver Photos."
MUFON UFO Journal 154 (December 1980): 11-16.

 Todd, Robert G. "MJ-12 Rebuttal." MUFON UFO Journal 261 (January 1990): 17-20.


Next: Extra-Terrestrial Exposure Law Already Passed By Congress